Twenty.

A/N

I did warn you of the slow burn – those are the kind of stories I prefer as they're more realistic because timeline-wise Abby has only been in the OBX for 2.5 weeks, but fear not... things will pick up very soon!

Also, I hit 3k reads overnight so thank you thank you thank you for those who are actually reading this. Would love to hear your comments and thoughts <3

⚓⚓⚓

The small movement of a body beside me made my eyes flutter open. The odd rocking motion confused me before my brain could catch up, reminding me that I was in a hammock beside Kiara. I lifted my head a little, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up more.

The sun was only just beginning to rise, lightly glowing on my surroundings, making it harder for my eyes to adjust. The morning breeze was cooler than normal, making me shiver and pull the hood of my jumper up over my head. I gently climbed out of the hammock, trying my best not to wake up Kie. Her soft groan instantly caused me to freeze in my spot, holding my breath as I looked behind me to see she had just rolled over and buried her face further in the blanket.

I walked quietly towards the porch, feeling the leaves and twigs getting stuck to my fluffy socks as I went. I quietly opened the backdoor after walking up the steps and into the Chateau when I bumped straight into JJ.

"Woah!" He chuckled, lifting the mug he was holding away from us as hot liquid spilled slightly over the edges.

"Sorry! I didn't realize any one else was up yet." I backed away a half step, taking in his messy hair and sleepy eyes.

"Today's the day we become millionaires, Abby. There was no way I was sleeping in." He said, making an overexaggerated grin. "Here, I made this for you." His smile faltered nervously as he looked down at the mug, holding it out to me.

"You were bringing me a coffee?" My quiet voice sounded more shocked than I intended it to as I furrowed my brows at the boy who was now avoiding my gaze.

The quiet moment was interrupted as John B barged through the door, accidentally slamming it into the wall. "Cheers, bro." He said, grabbing the mug from JJ's hands before I even had a chance to. Kiara and Pope walked through the door a few seconds later, loudly fighting about who could use the bathroom first. I looked back at JJ as he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, turning as he watched the chaos of everyone entering the room.

Gently reaching for JJ's arm when the others were out of sight, I rocked up on my toes to place a small kiss on JJ's cheek. "Thanks, for the coffee." I whispered as I walked towards the kitchen, but not before noticing the adorable stunned look on his slightly blushed face.

⚓⚓⚓

I had never seen everyone get ready and out the door as quickly as I had this morning. It was only just 6am and we were already pulling up beside Pope's dad's boat, lifting the drone over and setting off in the direction of Big John's coordinates.

"All right, JJ. Pin it here." John B called from beside me towards JJ, grabbing my attention.

We were out further in the ocean than I had been the whole time I've been back here. I looked back towards the direction we had come in, not being able to see land at all. Just water and the blue horizon.

Locking eyes with Pope, we both grinned at the fact it was go-time, as John B made his way over to the drone. "All right, ladies and gentlemen..." he started as Pope, Kiara and I moved to join his side, "to going full Kook." John B nodded at me before looking over the side of the boat and dropping the drone into the water. I leaned further over the edge, watching it sink below the surface.