Thirty Four.

⚓⚓⚓

I stared at my all black outfit in the mirror as I tied my hair back into a ponytail. After picking the girls up on the boat this morning, we had come up with a plan to sneak back into the Crain property and lower John B into the well to find the gold, but we had wait until it was dark again so we didn't risk getting caught.

The gold and red shades of the setting sun hit me as I walked out of the door to make my way over to the Chateau. I pushed open the porch door to see Sarah sitting alone on the sofa, scrolling through her phone with a smile on her face. "Where is everyone?" I asked, catching her attention.

"The boys are still getting last minute supplies and Kiara's grabbing us some food from the restaurant." She answered as she placed her phone back in her pocket. I walked past her with a nod as I went to find the flashlights I knew we had left laying around the house. An awkwardness seemed to sweep the room as I realized I hadn't spoken to Sarah alone before, and didn't really know her at all. She must have felt it too, as she coughed awkwardly as she stood up. "Need help?"

"Er, yeah. There should be some batteries in the kitchen." I said as I rummaged through the cabinet beside the sofa. We met back at table with six flashlights and a handful of batteries. Both picking them up to test if the lights still worked and changing out the batteries when they didn't.

"So, erm, John B mentioned that you haven't been back in town for long." Sarah spoke, breaking the awkward silence again as we prepared the flashlights.

"It's been about five weeks now, I think. I've lost track of time actually." I clicked the button in my hands, but no light came on.

Sarah was doing the same, discarding old drained batteries and replacing them with different ones. "What made you come back?" I looked up as she spoke, but she was busy concentrating on the batteries in her hand and wasn't looking at me. A lump formed in my throat, half at the memory of my mom, and half at the circumstances surrounding her death that I was sure had something to do with Sarah's dad. Did she know?

"My, er, mom died." My voice was quiet as I spoke.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry." Sarah's head shot up, a genuine look in her eyes as they met mine. "John B could've warned me not to ask! I'm sorry." She repeated, making me chuckle at her awkwardness.

"It's fine." I reassured her as we both carried on with the last of the flashlights in silence.

After a few moments we were done, so I picked up the flashlights and Sarah threw away old batteries and we walked back to the porch. "My mom died too, when I was a baby." I looked across to her as we sat side by side on the sofa, waiting for the others to show up. I had seen her with her family at Midsummers and had assumed the woman she was with was her mom, but I guess I was wrong.

"I'm sorry. That must have really sucked growing up without her."

Sarah nodded, avoiding my eyes. "My dad remarried and they had my sister Wheezie not long after. It was like everyone just decided to forget she existed."

I went to say something else when the porch door flung open with a crash, revealing Kiara carrying bags of food and the three boys. "Dinner is served!" She announced with a smile as she walked through the house towards the kitchen, bringing the noise of the over-excited boys with her.

⚓⚓⚓

After shoveling food into our mouths at record speed, we were quickly on our way back to the Crain house under the cover of darkness. I sat in the back throwing torn bits of rolled up paper at Kiara's hair with Pope, as we entertained ourselves on the journey.