Seventeen.

⚓⚓⚓ 

Weaving through the parking lot filled with only expensive cars, I followed the Pogues towards the large grey building that I had driven past a couple of times. I run my hand nervously over the messy braids in my hair, suddenly feeling self-conscious that we looked out of place.

"So, what are we doing here?" I asked as JJ directed us round a corner, walking past a staff member who was smoking against the wall.

"We're getting on the internet, because only rich people have electricity right now." He walked past a large dumpster, proudly holding his badge in the air as he headed for the open door. "This way!"

Following closely behind the boys, I walked through the door into a loud chaotic kitchen. JJ confidently walked ahead, saying hello to a few people as he passed by them. I smiled as I watched JJ being his usual cheeky self, even at his place of work, being playfully scolded by an older woman for attempting to steal some food off a plate.

"You gotta watch out for that one, honey, he's trouble." The woman shook her head with a laugh as she locked eyes with me walking past. I laughed at the woman's joke, glancing back at Kiara as she gave me a knowing smirk, thinking back to our earlier conversation on the HMS Pogue.

After Kie almost busted me this morning with all of my research on my bedroom floor, I had been a bit closed off, unable to get the two voicemails out of my mind as we picked up Pope and JJ. I'm normally good at pushing my thoughts and feelings away, resuming my usual happy-go-lucky persona around others, but today I just couldn't shake it.

My mood was obvious as I sat silently alone at the front of the Pogue while the others chatted and joked behind me. JJ was the first to notice, crouching down beside me and quietly checking on me. I appreciated his concern and the fact that he reigned in his usual loud and over-the-top voice so as not to draw attention to our conversation, but I still wasn't ready to confide in him just yet.

Kiara was next to join my side once he left. "You ok?"

"I'm fine. Just some things on my mind." I sighed, not wanting to go into detail.

"You want to talk about it?" I shook my head at her as I looked back out to the water. "You want to talk about anything else?" Her tone changed from being serious to a more playful one, catching my attention again.

"Like what?"

Kiara's lips raised to a smirk. "Like a certain blonde haired, blue eyed boy who constantly gravitates towards you." My eyes widened as she put me on the spot, unable to control the blush I was sure was creeping on my cheeks.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I tried to say confidently, but her smirk was contagious, and I couldn't help the laugh I let out after.

"I'm just saying, I see the way he looks at you. And the way you laugh at all his jokes, even when they're terrible."

"OK, first of all, I laugh at everyone's jokes, even John B's. I'm easily amused." Kiara nodded, agreeing with me. "And second, JJ stares at all girls like that." The words stung a little as I said them, partly knowing what I said was true.

"You may be right, but I know JJ, it's different with you. If you were any other girl he would have already made a move by now."

"Exactly, and he hasn't, so that doesn't even make sense." I tried brushing her off, regaining my composure.

"That's my point. He only hooks up with other girls, but with you, I think he really likes you." I was extremely grateful that I still had my sunglasses covering my eyes, hiding any emotion in them from Kiara, but apparently that wasn't good enough. "And judging from the shade of red you are right now, I know you like him too." She grabbed my shoulder, squeezing it playfully with a laugh as she stood back up. "Good chat." She continued to laugh as she walked away.