Chapter 2

June POV:

I was fast asleep when I heard it again. The shrieking. I got up quickly to hear where it was coming from. I looked out the window. It was dead silent but after a while, the noise was heard again. Seeing that everyone was sleeping, curiosity got the best of me and I got up to investigate.

I made my way down the treehouse with my hoodie on and headed in the direction I heard it- I headed to the forest. It was a cold night, with dry leaves crunching under my shoes. I'm abandoning my friends in the middle of the night to investigate a small noise that I heard. Way to go, June!

I heard more shrieks which led me deep into the forest. Places when I had to climb over or under thick branches, avoiding massive thorns. The deeper I went, the harder it was to manoeuvre myself amid vines and trees. Not to mention strange creatures that lurked here.

I walked for another hour and saw that it was morning already. I looked around and realised that I was in the core of the forest. This area was free of overgrown branches and had a barren land. However, I did not go in. Who knows what might pounce on me and devour me alive? So I waited patiently for something to happen. I grew more impatient by the minute. When I thought I'd bail and head back, something approached the forest core.

It was a monster. A huge, turquoise one with horns on its head. I further buried myself into the shadows so it won't see me but as I did, I noticed something on its head. A HUMAN! A girl was standing on it, her brown curly hair a mess. She had a purple cape on her shoulders.

I was shocked. Another human on earth? This was what I was waiting for! I wanted to confront her right then and there when something stopped me. I had a bad feeling about her all of a sudden and just decided to stay low and run back to Wakefield. I crept about the vines, trying not to make a sound.

I needed to get back home.

Jack POV:

I didn't want to wake up. But I had to. It was a new day and there was a lot of work to be done- fix parts of the treehouse, Joe's pizza and strengthen Wakefield's defence systems. "There is no way we're going to finish this in a day", I thought. I reluctantly got up and got ready for the day. Quint and Dirk were also waking up. Perfect timing so we could get to work immediately. And have fun. That's the main part!

After we gathered, I noticed someone was missing.

"Hey, where's June?", I asked. Quint and Dirk shrugged.

"I don't know... she might have gone for a walk like she did last evening because of you.", said Dirk.

"Because of me?! What-"

"Friends!", yelled Quint to get our attention. "Help me out here!" We got into action.

We worked for half an hour and June still didn't show up. I was beginning to get worried. Should I go look for her? Is she in danger? Is she-

"GUYS! JACK! LISTEN TO ME!", yelled a voice. I spun around to see June running with a limp toward us. Where was she? Why is she limping?? Is she hurt? I ran over to her to help her stand up straight. Quint and Dirk came too.

"June! What happened? And where did you go?", I asked her while Dirk offered some water which she gratefully accepted. I rubbed her back to ease her panting. After she calmed down, she spoke.

"Okay, so I've been hearing some sort of shrieking from the forest from last evening and-"

"Shrieking? Again?", groaned Quint. She glared at him to be quiet and continued. Bardle must have sensed something was up because he came beside us as well.

"So, I heard the shrieking once last evening but I ignored it. But I heard it again last night! So I... kinda snuck out into the forest, from where I heard it, to investigate. I reached the core of the forest and it's actually quite ok. There aren't any overgrown branches or anything. Anyway, after some time, this monster emerges. And a girl was riding her! I kinda wanted to talk to her but I felt something was off and just came back here." When she finished her story I was shocked. Another human! Maybe she can be of some use to us! If she doesn't steal all my friends first...

"That's amazing! We should go approach her right now! I'll grab the things-", said Quint but got cut off by June.

"What part of 'I felt something was off' didn't you understand!? We can't approach her."

"Why not? She's another human! She's probably the one who broadcasted the message!"

"I do not think that is advisable. If June finds her suspicious, I think we should wait.", said Bardle. No one could really argue with his instincts, so Quint gave in.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up. And treat that limp of yours.", I said, remembering her wounds. She nodded.

"We'll get the stuff you two stay here. Actually, Jack takes her to Joe's. She needs to sit while I treat her.", said Quint, running off with the others to get the equipment, leaving us alone. There was a moment of awkward silence. Without thinking, I hugged her. She seemed confused at first but relaxed. After we broke apart, she asked, "What was that for?"

"Nothing, just glad you got here safe.", I replied, trying my absolute hardest to contain my blush. "Stop blushing Jack, you dolt!", I scolded myself. Her cheeks got a bit pink too. I helped her to Joe's and Quint came back with the medicine and treated her. He even put a bandage around her twisted ankle.

June POV:

After I got my wounds treated, I was told by everyone to rest.

"I'm not resting!"I argued.

"You have to! Your ankle needs to heal!", opposed Jack.

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Fine, I'll rest but I'm sitting outside where I can see everything!"

"You mean supervise over us?"

"Call it what you want." He sighed, giving up.

"Fine."

* * *

The rest of the day went in these:-

Jack, Quint and Dirk trying to help out in physical rebuilding, but failingMe yelling at them to hurry up just for the sake of it. Jack making ridiculous commentsSkealka annoying Bardle

That was pretty much it, but most of the work was done. Defence systems were strengthened, and most of Joe's and the treehouse were fixed.

It was in the evening when everyone winded down after a day of work. The team and I were in the treehouse discussing how Avengers would have ended if Quill hadn't punched Thanos.

After dinner, Quint and Dirk left to sleep while Jack hung back to clean up and help get to my bed. Just as he finished tidying up, he stared into nothing.

"What's wrong?"I asked.

"Hmm? Nothing.", he replied, hazy.

"Yeah right. You're thinking about approaching the girl I saw in the forest, aren't you?" He looked shocked.

"H-How did you know?" I scoffed.

"Oh please, whenever you stare into space, I know that you'll be thinking of going solo to do whatever we told you not to do." He chuckled.

"You mean... I fly solo, Walter?"I rolled my eyes at his reference and swung my arms around his neck so I could walk.

"Yes, Agent Sterling. That's what I mean."

"Nah, if I fly solo, who'll be there to yell at me saying not to? Goodnight.", he said and went to his own bed to sleep before I could respond. I was flattered that he thought of me to be there in his life. I mean, I knew I was - the whole team was - but it still felt nice.

I fell asleep quickly, dreaming of good thoughts without any shrieking to bother me.