Chapter 8

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Sooo imma update this fanfic weekly. That could be any day but its mostly weekends. You might be living somewhere else, so the timing would be slightly off, but yeah.

Well, I wouldn't be just blabbering away like this and NOT give you guys a chapter so here
you gooo!

(Thx again for the tip @JMLeeds :) )

June POV:

We split into our groups and headed into the woods. Jack and I, CONVENIENTLY, were in the same team. How nice.

We walked in silence. It wasn't comfortable nor awkward. Just... silence. We cut through the large branches and vines, revealing little simmers of sunshine before they got covered by nature again. Our hands kept bumping into each other and we blushed like a couple of hundred times.

Sorry, make it a thousand.

"So...", Jack started. Of course, he had to start a conversation.

"So...?", I replied, sharing his confusion.

"Well, um, nice weather here!"

"...it's a forest but 'kay."

That conversation ended as quickly as it started. We continued our journey to the rendezvous point in MORE silence.

After a while, it was beginning to get dark. "Come on, let's set up camp here and continue tomorrow.", I said, gesturing to a plain patch on the ground. Jack nodded and we set up the tent.

"Hey June, I'm gonna go find something to eat around here."

"Jack, you shouldn't go like that, who knows if you eat something wild that will cause goitres on you."

Jack scoffed. "Oh please. I've read about all the poisonous ones, I'm sure I'll be fine.", he said and went. God, that boy will never learn. In the meantime, I found a bunch of sticks lying around and started a fire. I took out my sleeping bag and laid it out on the ground for me to sleep on. I took out some marshmallows, chocolate and a cracker to roast for dinner. How healthy, isn't it?

While I was doing all the hard work and setting up everything, Jack was out doing god knows what. I heard a ruffle in the bushes. I quickly grabbed my staff and got ready for combat. Moments later, Jack emerges out holding his hands in the air. "Oh, please don't arrest me, cop! I'll be good!"

"Jack! Don't scare me like that!", I scolded him and sighed. He sat down on his beanbag and reached in his pocket. He pulled out a couple of berries that looked like cherries and handed me one.

"No way! I'm not eating all that grub.", I declined.

"Fine, have it your way. It's just cherries by the way."

We sat in silence (comfortable this time) as I ate my smores and Jack ate his ... 'cherries'. Suddenly, a thought popped into my mind.

"Hey Jack.", I called out. He hummed in acknowledgement.

"I have a question... who did the Amare turn into for you? You... seemed shaken by it."

His expression quickly changed from calm to depressed. When we made eye contact, I saw sadness and pain in his eyes. Man, what had he gone through?

"Uhhhh why- why do you want to know?", he asked.

"Just concerned."

"Hehe... well it was Quint, obviously,", he replied, rubbing his neck nervously. "Ya know because he's my best friend..."

"Huh."

"Yeah, um, I'm gonna go to bed now, if that's okay. Long day ahead..." He climbed into his sleeping bag without an answer.

Huh.

Why did I feel like he was lying?

(A/N)

A short one, but a sweet one