Chapter 5

Jack POV:

"Come on! Let us load up the equipment! Hurry up!", urged Evie. We were going to go look for the Amare. Everyone said it was a terrible idea, but she said it was for 'Experiencing the experience'. She said it will help us in the real battle. I'm kinda curious about the shapeshifting thing. What will it turn into for me? I've never had any parents, and the closest person now is probably Quint or June... Oh god. Please not June.

Anyway, we were loading up a few guns, crossbows and chemicals in the back of Big Mama. Not to mention the snacks! Exie said the Amare's habitat is quite far from here so the drive would be straining. So we packed food for the road.

"Alright, start driving!"

We silently got in. Dirk drove while Evie navigated. You know, over the past few days, I've seen Evie become more determined to get to this Aamre thing. I don't know if she's avenging her family or whatever, but it's something.

As for the rest of the team, they were as usual as always. Me cracking my hilarious jokes that no one gets, Quint nerding out, Dirk wanting to prove his strength and June being her amazing self. Yeah, I'm so screwed. My crush for June isn't really a crush anymore. Ugh. More emotions. Yay. Right now, we were headed for the very thing of our nightmares. No time for love.

* * *

"Right here, yes take a right." We were on the verge of reaching our destination. It was well outside Wakefield and had mini swamps in every corner. Dead trees stood idly, moss grew everywhere housing many little insects, and the smell of dead bodies lingered in the air. There was no tower at all. Well, not anymore. It had wiped out the first attack of monsters on earth. Now, it was just a smelly swamp.

Definitely not a holiday destination!

Evie led us inside the swamp for a long time. We followed with questioning her navigation. Besides, she knows about the Amare best! As we walked through, over, under and between vines, I got a strange feeling of dizziness. But not entirely. It was hard to explain. Dizziness that felt... somewhat familiar.

Suddenly, from behind our backs, a huge, black blob-like smoke erupted from the grounds. Whoa. It shook the earth worse than a volcano. "Everyone take cover before it looks at you!", exclaimed Evie. We jumped out of the way as a part of it slammed the ground, attempting to smash us.

After a few minutes, the shaking and smashing finally stopped. Ugh, if only it had not... The smoke was looking around for us. It didn't have a face of sorts, but you could tell it had an evil grin plastered on its vile body. The stench of evil grew stronger by the second. June and I behind a tree, Quint and Dirk behind a boulder and Evie behind a bush, we all tried to keep our cool and not attract the creature's attention.

Well, unfortunately for us, my foot was ever so slightly stuck out. Which made the monster look. Crud. It yelped and aimed its so-called limbs toward me. June and I screamed and tried to run away before it got to us. Right then, I saw her.

June. As the creature. The creature trying to kill us. She wore her usual clothes with her iconic blue hoodie and brown hair. If only she wasn't so furious, she would be looking ravishing right now. 'Well,', thought to myself. 'This must be the Amare.'

And sure it was.

Without knowing what to do, I simply didn't move. I was too traumatized to. I mean, how often do you see your crush try to smash you into a billion pieces? All the screams and yells behind me were muffled. All my focus was on the destructive Amare.

June POV:

What was he doing? Why wasn't he moving?

Jack stood there, staring at the Amare, ignoring our many calls. Since it saw him, the Amare must've taken the form of the person most close to him. Maybe that's why he is so shocked to move.

Yeah, maybe that's it.

"JACK! COME HERE!"I yelled. Still no response. So I took the risk and ran out of our hideout to grab him. "June! Be careful!"I heard Quint scream out.

I approached him and grabbed a hold of his arm, yanking him to go. After a few tries, he finally broke his gaze. "Wha- What? What just happened?", he asked in utter confusion. No time to answer, I ran with him behind a tree.

In all that commotion of saving Jack, I forgot about myself. There it was. The Amare. Or should I say, my mom? She was looking right at me with pure venom in her eyes. She had never looked at me like that! What was going on?

Quint POV:

Jack was in a trance.

June was in a trance.

Dirk, having major difficulty winning the fight with his strength was also in a trance.

The only ones who were not were Evie and me. I had to save my friends! I grabbed a bottle of Bubbling Acid and sprinted over to the Amare to throw the liquid on it. Unfortunately, I didn't account for the shapeshifting part. Just great.

The Amare wasn't a blob of black smoke anymore. It was... my dad! With his brown skin and black beard, he charged at me with envy.

Evie POV:

I knew this would happen! I knew it! These people are too weak to endure an Amare attack! All those four idiots are in trances and it is my job to save them! Just great.

I quickly ran over to Quint and grabbed him before the Amare hit him. Then, I made my way to Dirk. He was failing. I pulled him to run with me back to the car.

I take Jack and June's hand too and sprint back through the swamp back to the car. What was it called again? Oh yes, 'Big Mama'. Horrible name, really. I shove them in and get in the driver's seat. I step on the reverse pedal hard. Big Mama roars and gets out of the dirty place. The four are still spaced out, so I drive to Wakefield myself. 

(A/N)

I am soooooo sorry I didn't get this out earlier! I had 30 mark exams and I just had to focus. But I promise that the future updates will be more regular! 

Well, what do you think of this chapter? A little short, but essential. Also, whom do you think the Amare will turn into for Evie? 

Stay home, Stay safe, Stay voting.

~Nara