Chapter 20

June POV:

We all stood, awaiting someone to take the lead. But no one did. We were thinking the same thing: Are there humans hiding inside, or was it a trap? A cold voice from behind me snapped.

"What are you idiots doing? Waiting for the heavenly rays of god to tell you to get in?", sneered Evie. Instant doubt crept in. What if she tricked us? What if there is an army of monsters and zombies waiting for us? What if we really are the last kids on earth?

I looked around me. Everyone evidently seemed to be thinking along the same lines based on their faces. Evie, of course, noticed this at once.

"What, you think I tricked you?", she asked.

"It would seem appropriate, considering your recent actions.", said Quint.

"I swear Evie if this turns out to be a big scheme, I will rip you apart myself.", I told her, venom dripping with every word. Her eyes went wide in shock for a few seconds but went back to their cold self. "Relax Feisty, it's not."

Just as we took a step, zombies emerged, surrounding us. We backed away. "Oh no! More zombies?!", cried Dirk.

"You really think I'd leave this place with no protection? Good lu-"

By the time Evie could finish her sentence, Quint, Jack, Dirk and I had them all pegged. The zombies were either knocked out cold by Dirk, fainted with the help of Quint's weapons, hypnotized by Bardle or wounded by Skeakla, Jack and I. I smirked deviously at Evie. "You were saying?" Evie looked away, red and infuriated.

We approached the entrance, but it was locked by a huge padlock. Quint exposed the metal to his chemicals and it instantly disintegrated. Evie thought she had us tricked, but we were too strong for her.

We took a deep breath. I felt a hand slip into mine. I looked up at Jack. He flashed a reassuring smile, silently telling me that it would be okay. I tightened my grip on his hand. His warmth and comfort made me smile in the darkest of situations. I had never really admitted it, but he was the reason I have faith in us. He kept the whole team alive when we lost our motivation, made jokes to lighten the mood when we're down, and did everything in his power to make sure we were not separated. He was the glue that held us together. That held me together. I started thinking about what my parents would think about him. They would probably be surprised and warm up to him, right? Surely they had to warm up to him.

I'm pulled away from my thoughts as Jack tugs me. We start walking down a dark hallway. After several minutes of slow pacing and anticipation, we halt at a dead end. The path was covered up with a huge wall, preventing us from moving forward. "Now what?", whined Dirk. In the corner of my eye, I saw a tiny light. I turned to the source and pointed, "Look! There's a light! We should follow it."

"Maybe there is a path here...", contemplated Quint. We stepped towards the light and sure enough, there was a narrow pathway hidden in the darkness. I heard a grunt from Evie. She probably thought we couldn't figure it out.

We follow the light for a few minutes. Suddenly, we are met with an abnormal amount of luminescence. We shield our eyes. When we open them, we stare at a huge stretch of land lit by a thousand lamps. And inside stood about ten thousand people, with a look of utter shock plastered on their faces staring back at us. 

Double update 'cause I don't deserve y'all