Chapter 15

Jack POV:

I was so happy the battle was over. Now we can go back to our normal lives... however normal it can be when you're the last kids on earth. Evie had surrendered and was kept in a tent guarded by Rover. We chained her hands and legs so she wouldn't try anything.

We were packing all our equipment up -canons, Acid Bombs, arrows, etc. Bardle was helping with the heavy lifting with his magic, Quint was making sure nothing was left behind, and the rest of the monsters were helping us load. June, though, was nowhere to be seen. Since I had done my part, I went to go look for her. We would be leaving soon, anyway.

I looked behind the loaded gear, in the crowds of monsters if she was talking to any of them, even in the unpacked tents. Well... except for the one where we kept Evie. I see June limp out of Evie's tent and see a look on her face. Like she is about to take on the world and win. It was a face I was most scared of.

I approached her, thinking the worst. "What did you do?" I ask, crossing my arms, trying to look serious.

"I just put Evie in her place, no big deal." She replies with a smirk. A smile makes its way onto my face. I uncross my arms and an awkward silence hangs in the air. June looks up at me.

"Hey, Jack? I.. I love you too.."

I look at her in confusion. What did she mean by that? Was it some secret code? Then it came to me.

"Oh. The lake? OH." June chuckled nervously.

"Y-ou h-h-eard?", I stuttered, immediately regretting my life's decisions. She nodded, her cheeks red. I was pretty sure mine was even redder.

"Did you mean it?", she asked, softly. I knew this was the time to make my move.

" Y-yeah, bu-but I m-mean I completely under-understand if y-you d-d-don't" I was cut off by soft lips pressing against mine. She was kissing me. June Del Toro was kissing me. Before giving me a chance to react, she pulled back. My face was flushed. The person who I'd been trying so hard to win the heart of had accepted. My mind was racing. The world around me was turning. I felt so many emotions hit me at once- Giddiness, confusion, shock. But mostly, happiness. My feelings for June were long awakened and it would never be put down any time soon. I got pulled out of my thoughts with the mind-numbing laughter I savour every moment of.

"Dude, your face is hilarious!" She said in the midst of giggling.

"D-does that mean..."

"Yes, you idiot I like you. Quit stammering, I'm not a demon."

She came up to my still-shocked face, kissed my cheek, muttered a soft "See you later.", and strode off. I watched her walk away, still registering the gravity of the situation. A few moments later, Quint and Dirk walk towards me with a cheeky smile wide across their faces. Dirk wiggled his eyebrows. "So, wanna tell us what happened there?"

"No, thank you.", I responded quickly and marched off. I did not want to be in that place anymore.

June POV:

I cannot believe I just did that. I kissed Jack! I kissed him! What was I thinking? But I was glad I made the first move. Jack was waiting too long to, so I had to step in. Where does that place us now?

I went to the loading area to see how we were faring. By the looks of it, all the equipment had been packed and ready to go. "How are we looking, Bardle?", I asked when I saw him come from behind the canons.

"We are ready to go back to Wakefield. Everything is set and in place."

I nodded. We were finally going back home!

Monsters pushing the canons, the team monitoring Evie who was being held by a thread from Rover's mouth, and Bardle and Skealka leading us through the forest, we were all anxious to get back and take a week off. A whole week without any responsibilities. But for now, we need to focus on what we were going to do with Evie.

After a few hours of struggling through the vines, tripping over pebbles, blushing whenever Jack and my shoulders touched, and daydreaming about a special someone, we eventually got to the Wakefield border. We travelled another twenty minutes before reaching the treehouse, where we let out a shaky but relieved breath. I was thankful that Evie didn't destroy the town, because that would have needed a lot of time to rebuild.

We unloaded the gear and sat down at Joe's Pizza to discuss our plan. We settled down with a slice of pizza each, Evie still chained up in the corner. "So... what do we do about her?", I piped.

"We could keep her in a prison.", suggested Dirk.

"We could make her a slave.", said one of the monsters in the crowd.

"We could tie her up and throw her into the ocean!", exclaimed Skealka. We looked at her with a horrified look. Suddenly, I remembered something.

"Guys... the people broadcasting from the radio said that they were hiding inside the Statue of Liberty...", I said.

"And they said they would come looking for us...", continued Dirk.

"And Evie had travelled to a lot of places before coming to Wakefield...", said Quint.

Jack immediately got up and went over to Evie. He pulled down the cloth tied around her mouth and aggressively asked her, "Did you attack the people of New York?" She didn't answer. "Did you?!", he asked again. All our eyes were trained on her, awaiting an answer. Then, it came.

"Yes.", said Evie. "I locked them up inside the Statue of Liberty so they would not escape. But I realised that Rezzoch was not here but in your town. So I journeyed here, leaving them trapped."

A loud gasp filled the air. She had been responsible for the lack of communication. She had locked up thousands of people, leaving them no way to escape. She was the reason that my parents had not come back.

"Well,", started Jack, smirking. "I guess we have our next quest."

(A/N)

Hii. Did you anticipate that? Probably. Am I still going to continue? Absolutely. How many chapters more? NO IDEA!

Hope you enjoyed that small snippet of me interviewing myself.

Stay safe, stay voting

~Phoenix