Chapter 22

Jack POV:

The voice was shaky. It was clear that whoever was speaking was trembling with either fear or joy. But I was too shocked to ponder. When we defeated Evie and found the missing captives I would have never thought that I'd hear those words.

"J-Ja-Jack? Is that you?", a woman muttered behind us. Quint and I spun around. And there we saw them. A middle-aged man and woman, possibly married, with identical facial features as me standing before us. The woman was tall and had black hair and a long face while the man was short. He had the same eyes as me.

Could this be my real parents? The woman was almost identical to me except for the eyes which looked like the man's. For years, I had been looking for my lost family only to be taken in by one and rejected the same day. I could never develop the sense of family that so many had with anyone. That is until I met the greatest group of friends in the apocalypse. They treated me with so much love and kindness that I didn't think I'd need an actual family. I forgot about the search for my parents. But as I stood in front of the grave couple, I got thrown in a vortex as I had so many times before.

"Wh-who are you?", I asked, my voice shaking with hope and fear. "H-How do you know my name?"

The duo said nothing. Only stared at me with teary eyes. After a couple of moments, they asked, "Are you an orphan? Do you have parents?" I was shocked by their questions. I glanced at Quint, quietly asking him what I should reply. He only stared back at me, his expression mirroring mine.

"Uh-Uhm yes and no. I'm sorry, have we met or-" I was cut off by arms talking to me in a huge bear hug.

"I thought we lost you for good! We are so sorry! We got so-"

"Wait... are you... mom and dad?!", I asked, letting the excitement drip through my voice. They nodded with tears in their eyes. I launched myself at them, sobbing slightly. I could not believe that I had actually found my parents! It looked like the years of hope had finally paid off. We pulled away. I looked at Quint with the happiest expression I had. "I assume you are one of his friends?", my mother asked him. Quint nodded.

In the distance, I saw a man and a woman appear behind Quint. As they came to view, a strange sense of familiarity crept in. Quint's parents! "Quint, turn around.", I muttered to him. He turned and immediately hugged his parents. It was wonderful to see him finally reunite with his family.

Next, Dirk came over to us with a man who seemed to be his father. They looked alike in almost every way. His eyes widened when he saw me next to my parents. "You... them... Woah dude that is awesome!", he said after the realisation hit him. I heard a cry behind me that sounded a lot like June. "Jack! Jack! Look who I-" I turned around and saw her staring at the two people who were beside me dead in the eyes, trying to piece two and two together. There was also another couple trailing behind her. It seemed like it was not just one family who had reunited.

After June.exe started to see what was happening, she too tackled me in a hug. By golly, there was a lot of hugging today. "Jack! I can't believe you found them! How did that happen?", she cried.

"Hehehe I don't exactly know, but the important thing is we're all here! We actually found everyone and we get to go home!" We cheered in celebration

* * *

June POV:

We reached Wakefield two nights later. Since the group was large, we had to spend more time on stops. We spent our time beside our families, talking about all the adventures we encountered in the apocalypse. With each story, our parents grew more visibly proud. Jack and his parents were getting to know each other to the most extent. I was so happy for him. He was finally going to experience parental love after all the years of rejection. I wondered what it meant for us. We had just confessed and this might just come in the way. Who knows if his parents like or hate me? Whatever the situation, I will support him in every way I can. And if that means not seeing him anymore, so be it.

We had the first view of Wakefield. It looked completely deserted, as it should. Evie was still bound in ropes so she wouldn't get away. "And that folks is our esteemed residence.", Quint told the crowd. Many stood in silence, awe in what we had created for ourselves. Some cheered, happy to have someplace to come to. We lead the way, explaining what we had built. It felt surreal to share it with other people.

"So," piped up Jack, facing us and the crowd. "What are we waiting for? Let's set up!"