Part 1

I spread my wings wide letting the breeze float through the sand colored feathers, I closed my eyes and took a breath of the cool spring air. "Amilla! Hurry up and get up here we're gonna be late!"called one of my closest friends, Archer. I opened my eyes and looked up at him, he was already circling over my head waiting for me to take off. I took a moment to admire his massive gray and white wings, his wings looked similar to that of an albatross or even a seagull's. I didn't dwell on my thoughts for very long however and opened my wings out wide, they were a dark brown speckled with tan and white like a song bird. I took off flapping my wings aggressively, getting to the same altitude as the archer would be a bit of trouble but not much. Once I was flying at archer's side we both soared through the air in attempts to make it to the royal galla that the entire kingdom had been invited to attend, being late to such a rare event would definitely be disappointing.

After a few minutes of cheerful flight and casual banter about who we would see and how we looked, eventually we reached the enormous castle that was bound to be chock-full of important folk and royalty. I tucked my wings against my body- Archer's did the same- and the two of us dived down, then at the last second I flung open my slightly ruffled wings. After landing we settled our wings pushing windswept feathers back into place so that we appeared modest, suddenly a lanky man that was covered in solid steel armor said to the crowd that gathered around us "the castle gates will open in 2 minutes!" he boomed in a ringing tone that would definitely be hard to forget.
I shifted my weight apprehensively, "is it just me or does this place make you nervous for some reason..." I murmured to Archer. He looked down at me with a barely audible sigh, his eyes softened when he saw how uneasy I seemed "I'm sure everything is fine, don't worry I think you'll be less nervous when the gates open... maybe you're just anxious about all the people here?" he said softly. I nodded to him then turned to face forward again, without warning a high pitched screech of metal scraping metal pierced the air as this happened the solid wooden gates opened inward with three armored guards awaiting behind it. Said guards promptly whipped around, obviously a sign for the people to follow as they marched onward. I did my best to ignore the precarious feeling in my chest as I walked into the courtyard. I looked around peering over the crowd, they really went all out with this.