Part 9

After dinner I headed back to my room to finish unpacking and settling in. My footsteps echoing through the corridor thunderingly even though my steps didn't make this much noise normally.  I hoisted open the large mahogany door that led into my room with a grunt, and shut it behind me clicking it shut. With a sigh I felt my wings slouch down brushing against the wooden floor, with the last of my energy I flopped onto the soft bed that was covered in plush blankets that were varying shades of purple and gold. I moved my wings to cover myself, I also threw a soft lavender blanket over my torso. As the warmth of the room and tiredness took over I drifted off to sleep, albeit slowly.

         I awoke with a yawn stretching my arms upward, and stretching my wings out behind me accidentally hitting the floor. I sat up in bed stretching a bit more and doing a bit of preening, afterwards I grabbed a hairbrush from the nightstand. After I had finished my daily grooming I dressed myself and headed out into the fast hallways of the palace. As per usual i skipped breakfast, but i didn't quite know what to do so i decided to head to the stables. After asking a servant for directions I trotted down the well lit corridors, passing many old windows paintings. I was still getting used to life within the walls even though I was probably never going to get accustomed to this life.

           As I neared the stables I could smell the soiled straw and the smell of the leather saddles and other horse related items. I shook out my wings watching a few feathers fall to the ground below my feet, I readjusted some feathers and stepped into the warmly lit horse stable. A few winnies and neighs echoed through the long corridor as I slid the door open, I heard a snort or two and the sound of horses munching on various food items. I trotted down the hall peering at the various name plates and horses, I stopped in my tracks staring at a beautiful jet black draft horse mare. Her mane was braided in lick sections and the fringe on her forehead was neatly trimmed, she had stunning blue eyes that followed my every move. I looked at her name plate which read Ebony, "you're quite the stunning animal, Ebony." I muttered to the horse. She nicked as I stood hesitantly, so I stepped a bit closer slowly reaching my hand up to her nose.

          I stroked the beautiful mare softly but didn't hear the footsteps approach from behind me. "She seems to like you..." David spoke so suddenly that I jumped with a squeak of surprise. He chuckled softly, "I'm guessing you didn't hear me approach?" he asked. I nodded then turned back to Ebony, "she's really pretty," I commented softly. David smiled, "she's a new addition to the stables actually, she headbutted tom the first time he tried to approach her." he snickered, probably remembering the event. "She could be yours you know, the rest of us have horses already. Brandy, Major, Brick, and Harlow are our horses, that's why our names are below theirs on the little plates on the stall doors." he informed me monotonously. I smiled up at Ebony, "yeah, i'd love for her to be mine." I stated.