Chapter 2.

Artemis PoV.

It has been a few days since I saved those cult members. If you think now 'how did she know that those were Peggies and if she knew why save them'. I have a simple answer for them. Because they are people. I don't care if they are from the cult or members of the Whitetails. They are all human beings who didn't do anything to me. Yet.

Since that day I also didn't hear anything in the woods. And I hope it stays like this. Peaceful. But I think I talked too soon because just as I was done in my small herb garden I hear the loud sounds of guns.

Like last time I take my bow and activate Hades' collar and we fly out of the door. Hades leads me to the fighting side. We are on a hill, pretty high up in the mountains. I take position behind a large bolder and ready my bow. The gunshots stopped a few minutes ago but you need to be ready anytime.

I slowly creep away from my hiding spot and follow Hades' collar. The fight must have stopped because it was again completely quiet in the woods. So I stand back up and just as I was about to whistle for Hades I hear a grunt followed by a cough. Hades must have found someone. I don't know who is injured but I also don't care.

I run in the direction from where I hear Hades' collar and the pained breathing of the person. After finding them I kneel beside them and notice that it is a man. Right now he is unconscious. Since I can't see I ask Hades to show me where he is injured. He gently takes my hand between his teethes and shows me where the wound is. There is a bullet wound right on his chest but it seems to have missed the lung and the windpipe. Now, let's just hope that the bullet came out in the back or I need to get it out fast.

I gently lift his upper body and look if there is a wound where the bullet may have left. And to my relief, there is one. The person who shot this man must have stood very close. Just now I notice how well build he was. His arms are as hard as a rock and I can feel scars and old blisters all over his arms.

I lay him back down for now and start treating his wound. I reach over my shoulders for my back only to notice that I forgot him at home. Cursing under my breath I take the hem of my shirt and start ripping off a few strips. I also take the handkerchief out of my pocket and press it to his open wound. He hisses but stays unconscious so I continue treating his wound.

After a few minutes, I'm finished and think about what I should do now. I can't leave him here now, can I. I look in the direction of Hades who is sitting next to the man.

"What do you think Hades. Should we take him with us? Or do we leave him here? I can use his radio to call for help but they will take time getting here. Someone may find him here and do god knows what." I ask Hades. He howls lowly as to say ' we definitely can't just leave him here '. I nod and try to lift him a bit. But that doesn't seem to work seeing that the man is nearly twice as large as I'm. I try it a few times but even then he is to large and to heavy.

I huff and do the only thing I can do now. I unhook the radio that is hanging from his belt and turn it on. After switching through a few channels I think I found the right one because I hear a familiar voice.

"Maria? Is that you?" I say. On the other side of the radio, I can hear panting.

"Savior is that you? What are you doing with Jacobs radio?" I hear her say.

'Huh, so his name is Jacob. That's a strong name.' I think to myself.

"I found a man in the woods. He must be your Jacob because I took his radio to call for help. He has a bullet wound in his chest but I already treated it and I think it stopped bleeding. But he will still need to get a few medications into his system so the wound doesn't get infected." I tell her. There is a pause on the other side but I soon hear Maria's voice again.

" Thank goodness you found him. Can you tell me where you roughly are so I and my team can get him?" Maria asks relieved.

" We are on an open hill near a ranger station. You really can't miss it." I state.

"Thank you so much Savior for finding Jacob. We don't know what we would do without him." She says happily. I can't say I like being called 'Savior' but whatever floats her boat.

Since thinking that they will take a while I give Hades the task to get me large branches from the pine trees. He gets them fairly quickly and I make a kind of bed where I lay down the body of Jacob. With the rest of the branches, I make a gigantic exclamation mark. After that, I and Hades run over to the tree line and crouch down behind a tree.

Roughly half an hour later I can hear a helicopter making its way over to the hill. I didn't leave, scared that someone will find Jacob before Maria is here.

'Must be Maria. Or I hope at last.'

The helicopter lands somewhere on the open hill and I hear Maria's voice. She is shouting something about a medic. Seeing as Maria and her team is here now I stand up and make my way back to my cabin. But as I leave I can't shake the feeling of being watched.

(1038)