Chapter 10.

Artemis POV.

It has been a few days since I encountered and took Pudding home with us. I think he likes it at our small cabin because every morning he disappeares and returns with a large fish from the river a few kilometers away from the cabin. And each time he puts it in front of my feet as to say 'Thank you'. I always thank him but give it back to him so he can eat the big fish. Pudding also sleeps together with Hades and I in my bed. He takes up a lot of space but I don't mind. I like him.

In the last few days his wound healed pretty fast and now there is nothing there anymore so we sometimes went hunting or back to the meadow to just relax. But as peaceful as the days were I was still somewhere else with my thoughts. Jacob wouldn't leave my mind the whole time. I often ask myself if he is alright or if the wound healed nicely. Never in my whole life has such a small encounter with a man I couldn't even see effect my life like Jacob did. I don't know what it is about him but I feel drawn to him.

So when I couldn't take it anymore I took my radio from the counter and searched for Maria's channel. But as I switched through the channels I heard something terrifying.

"Yo Nick are you there? Here is the Deputy" The familiar voice of the man from the meadow reaches my ears.

'So the person who was hunting Pudding was the rumored deputy.' I thought and a unknown feeling bubbles inside of me. But I couldn't think about it now since another voice speaks inside the radio.

"Hey there Deputy. What can I do for ya?" A males voice asks. He must be Nick then.

"Want to help me take down the one person you hate the most on the whole planet? I must have liberated one to many outposts of his because he just radio called me and wants to end it all. In the background I heard a plane so tell me if I'm wrong but he is good with planes right? " The deputy says. I could hear the amusement in his voice. But the words that followed froze my blood.

"Of course I will help you take down this son of a bitch John Seed. You know as well as I do that he is the most awful person on this planet. Let me get Carmina ready and I will meet you there." This Nick guy says and the line was quiet again.

For a few seconds I just stood there in my living room and couldn't think about anything. The world just stood still. But in the next second I bolted in the direction of where I knew I left my backpack and swung it on my back. I run into the hall and take my bow put it around me and crash through the front door.

Hades and Pudding are beside me in milliseconds. Activating Hades and Puddings new collar I start running in the direction of Holland Valley. But I pretty fast stumble over a rock in the ground and nearly tumble to the ground if Pudding wouldn't have caught me. He nudges me in his side and presses me upwards with his nose.

"You want me to climb on you?" I ask sceptical. He gives me another nudge and a moment later I'm sitting on top of Pudding. I pet his head and say.

"Pudding I nead you to go in the direction of Holland Valley. You know where that is?" He just roars and begins to slowly trot in the direction of the valley. After he noticed that I was secure on his back he speed up. It was unusualy, sitting on top of a large grizzly bear and running through the woods. But I couldn't think about that now. I need to save a man that was only kind to me, even though he is the sadistic Baptist of the cult. He is just a man, probably with a horrifying past that no one should have to live. The cult doesn't exactly hide the background story of their heralds childhood.

We must have run for maybe half an hour when I hear gunfire. More specific the gunfire of two planes, or I think so at least. There is also a third gunfire of a rifle.