Chapter 11.

Last chapter:

"Shit!" I curse and think about what to do. We are near Joseph's island so maybe I can get him there. But how? Just in that moment I hear Pudding grumble behind me.

"Hey Pudding. I need your help."

Artemis POV.

That takes us to our current situation. Me sitting on Puddings back while I hold tightly onto John in front of me. Pudding is quickly running through the woods with Hades right beside him.

We just crossed the border between Holland Valley and the Whitetail Mountains. It wouldn't be long till we reach Joseph's island but what worries me is that I can now clearly feel John's blood running over my hand. 'Shit'. I lean a bit forward to speak with Pudding.

"Hey there Pudding. Think you can go faster. John here is losing a lot of blood. He needs a doctor." I encourage him. He roars and starts to run even faster then before. I hold John tighter to me and start to stoke his hair. He is slightly heating up which isn't good.

We are nearly there and I'm relieved that we didn't encounter anyone on the way, cultists or resistance. Pudding leaps one last time and then stops abruptly. I heard talking since a few minutes. We must be there then.

When Pudding leaped through the forestline I could hear how the chatting stopped and then there were the clicks of multiple safetys.

"Wait please. I come in peace. John is injured and quickly needs treatment!" I shout and it is quiet again. Huffing I softly slip down Puddings back and try to bring John down with me. But he is to heavy and would have tumbled to the ground if Pudding hadn't saved him. I on the other hand land loudly on the ground and scratch up my elbows. I whimper but don't let anything show on my face. I quickly stand back up and feel for Pudding when I hear doors opening.

"What is going on here!" I hear the familiar voice of Joseph. Relief fills up my whole body and I laugh lightly. I turn in his direction and speak loudly.

"John got shot. He quickly needs help. The bullet is still inside and needs to be removed. I would need a sterile room, a scalpel or something like that and clothes and bandages. I also need sanitizer, rubber gloves and tweezers." I could hear that nobody moved or did anything. I loudly huff and angrily shout.

" Now! " That seems to get through their thick skulls because they started to run franticly around the grounds. I heard John grunt so someone must have taken him from Pudding. Next thing I know is that a hand takes mine in his and softly leads me in a unknown direction. I try to take back my hand but the person only tightens his hold on me.

"It's alright Artemis. It's me, Joseph. I will lead you somewhere where you can calm down." He says kindly but I stop abruptly.

"NO! Joseph take me to John. I can help him." I say hectically.

"Hush hush Artemis. It's alright, we have highly talented doctors here. John is in good hands. Just sit down and try to calm down. Everything will be alright because God won't take him from us. I would know." Joseph tries to calm me. It only works a bit but I let him move me from my spot. I can tell that he takes me to a house because it gets colder when we enter and sits me down in on a bench. I get the feeling that we are in the church, don't ask me how I know this. It just feels like it. As soon as we entered I calmed down drastically.

But I still shake like a leave so Joseph takes the seat next to me and puts his arms around me. His hugs are oddly calming. They remind me of the ones Aiden, my brother always gave me. They are loving and calming in so many ways. But sadly Aiden and his friend Noah went M. I. A. I miss them both so much.

I must have been in my thoughts for a long time because the doors to the church gets thrown opened and I hear the familiar footsteps of Faith's naked feet.

"Where is he? Is he ok? What happened to him?" she asks hysterical and runs up to us.

"Calm Faith. It's alright. The doctors will care for him and he will be as good as new. As I already told Artemis here, God will not take him from us." Joseph says calming again. Faith sigh and takes a seat next to me. She also puts her arms around me and we try to calm down together.

" Artemis I know it must be hard but can you tell me what happened? Who was the one that shot John? " Joseph aks softly like one would talk to a animal. I take a deep breath and begin to talk.

"A few days ago I encountered a group of people near my house, trying to catch a bear. I asked them to leave my property and the leader of the group started to become a bit sarcastic. They all started to laugh so I nearly killed someone with one of my arrows. They quickly left after that. " I say the last bit a little quietly but they still heard and start to laugh quietly. I pout but a smile makes its way on my face but I continue.

" Today I wanted to call Maria on her radio to ask if Jacob recovered completely but as I switched through the channels I landed on one in particular. It was the same voice as the leader who wanted to kill Pudding out there. When the other person, Nick or something like that called the person 'deputy' I knew that they were one and the same person. The deputy then asked if he wanted to help take down some 'person'. In the beginning he didn't say a name. But he soon started to talk about John and as soon as the call was over I ran outside. " I continue with a sad undertone.

" Since I'm blind I pretty much just stumbled through the wood and nearly crashed. Because of that Pudding allowed me to sit on his back and he then ran in the direction of Holland Valley. We soon heard the gunfire of planes and a single rifle. In that moment I knew that John has his showdown with the deputy. Johns plane soon crashed. While Nick made his way back to a 'Kim' the deputy quickly made his way to where John landed with his parachute. The deputy ran up to John to take the bunker key from him. But before he could do this I shot multiple arrows into him so he ran away. After that I tried to stop John's bleeding and then we made our way over here on Pudding. Feeling him laying there loosing a unhealthy amount of blood..." I finish my story and am finally calm completely. Joseph traced small circles on my back while I talked.

"We know Artemis. He will be alright. You did everything you could do and brought him here. Thank you for that. " Joseph says. Suddenly someone talks from behind us.

"Joseph's right. Thank you for saving our baby brother." The familiar rough voice of Jacob Seed says.

(1249)

To be precise, I'm not really satisfied with this chapter... But anyway I hope you liked it. And stay safe🤗