Chapter 4.

Last Chapter:

I untie it from around Hades and curse myself for being so dumb. I can't read it. I stand up and search for my mobile to take a picture and letting my special app reading what's on it.

Joseph PoV.

I sit next to my brother Jacob who is laying in a hospital bed since a few weeks ago. He has a fever and is sweating waterfalls. What worries me is that the fever just won't go down at all. At this rate, there is nothing that we can do except for praying.

My other brother, John is sitting on the other side of the bed but he fell asleep a few hours ago. He has dark rings under his eyes, something he never has. Faith made herself comfortable on the floor with a blanket around her. The three of us come to visit as often as our calendar allows us.

I too am completely tired and am nearly falling asleep. Just as my eyes close the door to this room gets thrown open and doctor Simmons and Maria, Jacob's right hand come running into the room. They run over to Jacob. Maria is talking with someone on her radio about Jacob's wound and soon just gives it to Simmons. The commotion wakes both John and Faith, both of which nearly jump out of their seats.

The doc talks a bit with this person, a woman to be precise if my ears don't deceive me. He suddenly tells Maria to get as many wet clothes as she can find and bring them here. She nods and runs back out only to come back a few minutes later with her hands full of clothes. But what makes me nearly jump out of my skin is the huge black wolf with gray eyes that is following her. It has a collar around the neck on which a wooden box was tied to. It goes over to the doc and sits down. He looks down and unties the box.

"You must be Hades, right. Thank you for bringing this here so fast." Doc says and pads the wolf's head. Hades barks and stands back up, turns around and his eyes meet mine. He stiffens but doesn't seem to be angry or anything. He looks calmly at me and makes his way over to me. Something in the back of my mind tells me that this huge wolf won't hurt me but you can't be too sure.

As he reaches me he sits down in front of me and looks at me with those big knowing eyes. He seems to want something from me but I don't know what. Looking at my other siblings they just shake their heads as to not know what to do. My attention gets drawn back to Hades as he huffs and goes over to the table standing in the corner of the room. On it are laying a few sheets of paper and a pen. He puts them between his teeth and comes back over to me. Putting them into my lap he looks back up at me. Does he want me to write something?

I again look back up to my siblings. John seems as confused as I am but Faith had this knowing look.

"Maybe he wants you to write his owner a letter of thanks. And maybe the condition of Jacob?" She states. Looking down at the wolf he gives a small bark and sticks his tongue out.

So I take the pen and begin to write a letter to the owner of this huge wolf. But it's hard to write a letter to an anonymous person so I ask Maria to whom this wolf belongs.

"Oh, that's Hades. His owner is Artemis, the one who saved me and my team from those Whitetails a month or so ago. You should have seen it. How she took down all of those Whitetails nearly completely alone and only with a bow. She was also the one who found Jacob when he had his showdown with the deputy. Provided first aid and called for help with his radio. She called today to ask how Jacob was doing but when I told her about his condition she told me to describe his wound. She made an antidote for the poison in his blood and Hades here brought it just now. He is a good boy isn't he!" Maria says happily.

I and my siblings were speechless. She must be an angel for her to be so kindhearted as to save Jacob. I want to meet her and thank her personally and my siblings agree. I start writing the letter and ask her to meet us here in the Veteran Center so we can thank her and for her to look at Jacob's condition herself.

After finishing writing I roll the piece of paper up and tie it around Hades' neck. He licks my hand one last time before jumping out of the window and into the treeline. I hope Artemis gets this letter.

Artemis PoV.

After taking the photo I click on the button on the screen that allows me to hear what this mysterious person wrote to me.

Dear Artemis,

My name is Joseph and I want to thank you for helping my brother, even if you didn't have to. Thanks to your antidote and fast wolf Jacob's condition got well very fast. I and my siblings want to thank you personally so we would like to invite you to the Veteran Center. When you are here you could also look my brother over for anything doc Simmons or you might have missed. We await you tomorrow anytime you like.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Seed

I was speechless. I must have wobbled when I took the picture. So I take it again and it told me the same thing. Joseph Seed, the father. I saved his brother Jacob Seed, the Soldier, or in other words the one responsible for all the Peggies running around the country.

But as I already said, he is also just a human. Sure I heard many horrifying things about Jacob but those can just be rumors. My philosophy is that there is something good in everyone. And I mean everyone. There must be more to Jacob than meets the eyes or Maria wouldn't have been so worried.

I look down in the direction of Hades.

"Huh, buddy. Seems like we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

(1084)