Chapter 3

Mrs. Weasley put out a plethora of food for us all to dive into before heading off. She wasn't the biggest fan of the sport so many of her children played, so she opted to stay home. Of course, there were the chocolate chip waffles I loved from the Weasley kitchen. "Good morning." I greeted, sitting down and grabbing a plate. She nodded her good morning and went back to frying bacon while a spatula flipped French Toast all on its own. Soon, one person sat down on my right, another on my left. And there were the twins. "Morning George, Fred." I pulled the plate of eggs closer to our side of the table. 

I was met with a groggy response of, "Good morning, Alex." They rubbed the sleep from their eyes, shoveling the eggs on their empty plates without hesitation. The table was relatively silent for a Weasley morning, but it was hardly daybreak. The loudest of them all had their heads on either one of my shoulders. The silence was welcomed. 

Harry and Ron came downstairs just in time for a few bites before Mr. Weasley stood from the table. "Alright!" He said, a bit too cheerfully for the early morning. "Everyone ready?" He was given weak nods all around, including from Hermione who seemed to be the most awake of us all. "Great! Let's go." I stood up and pulled the twins' arms as I did. The group of us got our packs with extra clothes and more face paint than we probably needed. But this was the Quidditch World Cup we're talking about! It deserves to be a spectacle. With one last goodbye to Mrs. Weasley, with a promise not to let Fred and George blow the place up, we were off. 

Eight of us trampled through the woods with Mr. Weasley in the front. Fred, George, and I next. Hermione and Ginny behind us, which had Harry and Ron bringing up the rear. "Your cousin didn't seem too pleased with our toffee." George teased as we walked. 

"You think your uncle will tell us anything about the after effects?" That was Fred. 

I scoffed. "You'll be lucky if your names will ever be allowed to be mentioned in that place when I go back." I used to think of that as an if. If I went back. But as the years went on, I knew that we were stuck there. The Weasleys didn't have the room or money, Sirius was still a felon. We had nowhere else to go. 

I fell into an easy rhythm with Fred and George. We talked about school and my birthday, if anything exciting happened for it. Which, of course, it didn't, but they still tried. The match was on the 18th of August. My fourteenth birthday was just seventeen days prior. You see, Harry was born on July 31st, but it was just after midnight when I was born. I know. Imagine having your twin having a different birthday than you. So we celebrate twice. I think my parents would have liked that. 

We were walking for a little while when Ron started complaining. Honestly, I'm surprised he lasted this long. "Hey, Dad! Where are we going?" He yelled up to Mr. Weasley.

"Haven't the foggiest!" Our supposed guide yelled back. "Keep up!" Great. Awesome. We were just aimlessly roaming the woods. If Voldemort won't kill me, the elements might. I was not built for woods. The rustling behind me was Harry and Ron rushing to catch up to the group. They had been lagging. 

It wasn't a few minutes later that we heard a voice. "Arthur! It's about time, son." The man hollered. He looked cheerful, a grin matching the excited one Mr. Weasley had been wearing all morning. 

"Sorry Amos. Some of us had a bit of a sleepy start," Mr. Weasley said, looking back at Ron and Harry. I gently elbowed George to let him know he was included in that quip. He batted my arm away with a small laugh. "This is Amos Diggory, everyone. Works with me at the Ministry." He explained. Amos smiled. A boy jumped down from a tree. "And this strapping young lad must be Cedric, am I right?" Cedric Diggory. This boy was- gorgeous. All the girls and gays at Hogwarts thought so. Myself included. He wasn't George, by any means. But when I needed a tutor in Ancient Runes last year, he was perfectly fine to look at. I managed to pull some good grades too. 

"Yes sir," Cedric stated proudly. He shook Mr. Weasley's hand, and I waved to him in greeting, completely ignoring the scoff that came from my right. I rolled my eyes at George, moving instead to go stand with my brother. I know we live together and all, but not spending much time with him made me nervous. Like something would happen to one of us immediately. "Come on. This way," Cedric nodded further into the woods. Everyone started shuffling forward, but Amos stopped Harry and I.

"Merlin's beard! You must be Harry and Alex Potter." He shook Harry and I's hands. "Great, great pleasure," he exclaimed a little. Sadly, we were used to this. The disbelief, the joy on other's faces when they met us. I don't really understand it. We were babies after all when Voldemort was defeated. 

"Pleasure to meet you too sir." We said in unison. Amos smiled and ushered us back to the group.

We walked up a huge hill, and I saw a boot laying in the middle of the field. "Why are they all standing around that manky old boot?" Harry asked aloud.

"That isn't just any manky old boot mate."

"It's a Portkey." The twins explained. They laid down and put a finger on the boot. I settled between them and did the same.

"Time to go!" Mr. Weasley exclaimed. I smiled. This was the first time I've ever traveled by Portkey. I hadn't had a real strong desire, but it was an experience to check off.

"What's a Portkey?" Harry asked. I rolled my eyes. Honestly, he doesn't read.

Amos started counting to three, and Harry just stood there. "Harry!" I shrieked. Harry grabbed the boot just as we started spinning. Everyone except Cedric, Mr. Weasley, and Amos started screaming.