Chapter 23

We lined the entrance to the Great Hall as the large doors opened. Fleur walked in first with her date, Roger Davies. He was a Ravenclaw in the twins' year. She wore a beautiful grey and silver dress. It might've been the Veela in her, but she was stunning. Right behind them was Viktor and Hermione. She looked embarrassed and flustered, but I'm sure the nerves would calm down after the initial dance. Cedric and Cho followed. She looked nice in her dress, but a sting of bitter feelings crept into me. I don't blame her, I can't. But Harry really liked her, and just because I didn't like her doesn't mean I don't want my brother happy. Speaking of Harry, he was the last to enter with Parvati on his arm. She was positively beaming with pride, but Harry looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. 

He found me in the crowd, eyes pleading with me. But there was nothing I could do for him. "Smile." I mouthed, pointing to my face. Fake it until he makes it. Harry gave a weak smile, but it fell away when they arrived at the dance floor. 

The four Champions separated with their dates to different parts of the floor. The music began, and they waltzed around. The ungraceful Harry Potter was fumbling and staring at his feet, but he was doing an okay job. Just a couple more minutes. After he succeeded with the lift, Dumbledore escorted McGonagall out onto the dance floor. This invited more couples to join them.

George took my hand, gently tugging me out to the floor. "No way. I can't dance." I protested.

There was that grin I loved on his face. The one that stirred trouble. "You can do anything." He started to lead me around, and I followed every step. It wasn't the most graceful of dancing. I wonder if my parents were any good because if they were, they didn't pass that onto their children. George was actually a great dancer. When it was finally over, the men bowed to their partners who returned with a curtsy. "See." George whispered when I finally stood back up. "You did great."  

I ducked my head with a smile on my face. Harry wasted no time in leaving Parvati to find her sister. "Can I go back upstairs now? I don't even want to be here." He whined.

I set a hand on Harry's shoulder, giving him the best sympathetic smile I could muster. "Suck it up, buttercup."

George laughed loudly beside me. "That was so harsh, Alex."

I looked over at my date. "He's a Champion. He has to stay." Then I was back to focusing on my twin. "Go find Ron so you can be miserable together. I would like to have a nice time."

I turned him in the direction of Ron, giving a gentle push to get him on his way. Professor Flitwick's voice came out loud and clear on the stage. "And now, I give you the band that needs no introduction!" He gestured to behind him. The curtain flew up revealing the bloody Witch Sisters! I squealed and tugged George towards the stage as they started singing. I love their music. 

I don't know how long we were dancing for with Fred, Angelina, Ginny, Neville, Seamus, Dean, Lavender, Hermione, and Viktor. The crowd's energy was high which only helped the performance in front of us. As the first set came to a close, George gently tugged on my hand. "Do you want a drink?" I nodded a yes, still out of breath from dancing so much. "I'll be right back."

I spotted Harry at one of the tables, so I started over to check on him. "You two look miserable." I pointed out, sitting between Ron and Harry. 

Ron nudged my shoulder. "Shut up Alex." He grumbled. His eyes followed Viktor and then Hermione when she came and sat at Harry's right.  

"Hot, isn't it?" She breathed, looking short of breath. "Viktor 's gone to go and get drinks. Would you care to join us?" Her smile was contagious, and I found myself smiling as well. 

I knew Harry was going to say something, but Ron beat him to it. "No. We'd not care to join you and Viktor." The name 'Viktor' came out bitter and harsh. He resumed resting his back against the table. 

Hermione rolled her eyes. "What's got your wand in a knot?" 

Ron sat up straight again, looking her dead in the eye. "He's a Durmstrang. You're fraternizing with the enemy."

Hermione's mouth fell open. "The enemy? Who was it wanting his autograph." I wanted to jump in to defend her, but this didn't seem to be the time. "Besides, the whole point of the tournament is International Magical Cooperation... to make friends." 

"I think he's got a bit more than friendship on his mind." Ron scoffed. I turned to glare at him. Hermione stood, started walking away, turned back again, then left. 

"Like I said, your jealousy is showing." I shook my head and stood up. George came over to us with two glasses in his hand. "Thanks, Georgie. I'll see you two tomorrow. Harry, lay out those dress robes so they don't wrinkle. You're not getting a new set unless you grow out of them."

I didn't wait for an answer before pulling George away from their table. "What's wrong with them?" He asked, taking a drink of the pumpkin juice.

I finished the small glass before answering him. "Ron didn't ask Hermione to the ball in time, and now he regrets it."

"Ah. He's fancied Hermione for a while now. But you didn't hear that from me." The band started playing a slow song, so George extended his hand. Both of our glasses were discarded on the table. "Ready?"

I took his hand. "Definitely." George's arms wrapped around my waist, and mine wound themselves around his neck. I typically hated being so short, but being able to rest my head on George's chest made it up for it in more ways than I can count. We danced easily, moving around each other without him tripping on my dress, me tripping on him, or tripping on my own two feet. Moments like this didn't feel real, like I'd wake up in the cupboard under the stairs and this is all a dream. 

After a good hour or so, quite a few kids had filed out of the Great Hall either to go to bed or to snog somewhere. George and I were in the exact same position we were at every slow song. Until we heard fighting. And not just any fighting, but voices that I instantly recognized. I lifted my head, seeing Hermione and Ron leaving the Great Hall in a heated argument. "What has your brother done now?" I muttered. 

George sighed. "He probably opened his mouth." I nodded in agreement, glancing nervously at the door again. George tapped my nose, getting me to turn my attention back to him. "Go." He whispered. " She needs you." 

I didn't want to leave George, but he was right. Hermione was my best friend. She was alone after a fight with the boy she fancied. She needed me. I hugged George tightly. "Thank you for this. Seriously. I had so much fun. Thank you."

George rolled his eyes. Even though I didn't see it, I knew him well enough to know what he does by the tone of his voice. "Don't thank me. I had fun too." We pulled apart. "I'll see you in the morning. Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas, George." And with that I left the Great Hall. I saw Hermione on the steps crying and massaging her feet. "Oh 'Mione." I ran over to her side and held her as she cried. 

"Boys are stupid." She sobbed quietly. I nodded, keeping her close as her tears streamed down her face and onto my shoulder. There wasn't anything I could say to make her feel better, but I held onto her. Friends don't let go.