Chapter 9

The Great Hall was littered with underage students, including ourselves. While Ron and Harry mingled around, Hermione and I sat on one of the benches set up near the Age Line, Hermione cracked open a book while I decided to just watch people, seeing who was brave enough to drop their names into the flames. "Hermione." I nudged her gently. She looked up, following my gaze. "There's Cedric." Cedric Diggory walked through the door surrounded by a group of Hufflepuff seventh years. 

"Come on, Cedric! Put it in!" One of his members called. They shoved him through the Age Line. He made it through without a problem and tossed his name into the Goblet. The flames changed colors as the parchment was accepted. He was engulfed by his posse once he left the line. Everyone clapped, and Hermione and I joined in. But then Hermione continued reading.  

It wasn't long before shouts came from the entrance of the Great Hall. I could easily recognize Fred and George's voices and victorious yells. "Yes!" There were vials in their hands, and of course. An aging potion. I don't know why I thought they wouldn't try something this stupid. The students in the Hall hollered for them, well, except for me and Hermione. "Thank you. Thank you," they chorused together as many people gave them high fives and pats on the back. "Well lads, we've done it." Fred started. 

"Cooked it up just this morning," George finished. Each twin had a huge smile on their face. Hermione and I looked at each other, our own smirks on our face. 

"It's not going to work!" We sing-songed together. 

The twins looked at us and sat down. Fred was beside Hermione, which left George to sit beside me. "Oh yeah?" Fred asked us with an amused look on his face. 

"Why is that. Potter, Granger?" George asked with a smirk. I smiled at the thought of bursting their bubble. Don't get me wrong, I love these two, but having them compete in this tournament wasn't something I wanted to see. They meant too much to me. 

"You see this, Weasleys?" I pointed to the Age Line around the Goblet of Fire. "This right here is an Age Line. Professor Dumbledore drew it himself." Fred and George gave me blank stares. 

"So?" Fred asked. 

Hermione scoffed and closed her book. "So," she picked up. "A genius like Dumbledore couldn't possibly be fooled by something as pathetically dimwitted as an aging potion." 

"But that's why it's so brilliant." 

"Because it's so pathetically dimwitted." I rolled my eyes. Fred and George gave us a small salute and stood on the bench beside us. "Ready Fred?" George asked his brother while they were shaking the vials. 

"Ready George," Fred replied. They opened the vials and crossed arms. "Bottoms up!" They said together. The aging potion was downed easily, and the twins jumped off the bench. They made it over the line. I held my breath, waiting. But when nothing happened, the whole place broke into applause again. 

"Yes!" Fred and George yelled as they walked around the inside of the Age Line, soaking in the cheers. "Ready?" George asked, the pieces of parchment in each hand held up towards the flames. With a nod from Fred, they tossed the pieces in. The fire accepted their names, and the twins shared a high-five. But, of course, it wasn't going to be that easy. 

Blue flames erupted from the Goblet, moving across the room at vicious speeds. Two blasts hit George and Fred, flinging them over a group of students to an empty spot. Their bright red hair slowly turned white, and each twin grew a long, white beard. A wonderful punishment, I'd say. With a laugh, I watched my best friends wrestle with one another. But the laughter died down when the Great Hall doors opened. In came Igor and Viktor Krum. There was no hesitation in his step as he walked towards the cup and tossed in his own name. Viktor did, however, look over our way and offered a smile. But I'm certain it was meant more for Hermione than me. Her blush was easy to see, even when Viktor left.

I gaped at Hermione. "Hermione Jean, what the hell was that all about?"

Her blush darkened. "Shut up, Alexandra." She grumbled. But there was little heat behind her words. She stood up, clearing her throat. "Let's head back to the Common Room. You've seen the guy you fancy make a fool of himself. I'm sure there's not much else to see."

I glared at her but followed her lead. "Not so loud." I scolded. She just looped her arm through my own, and we walked back to the Common Room. Getting back meant actually focusing on school work instead of the looming events of the tournament. What matters is that my friends were unable to enter. They'd be safe. "Help me with this History of Magic essay?" I asked once we collapsed on one of the tables. "I don't understand how Binns can make the Goblin Wars seem so boring, but he manages. It kills my motivation."

Because Hermione loves me, we got to work. A few hours killed, and it was up to bed. Fred and George were suspiciously absent from the Common Room the whole time. I only hoped they had the common sense to go see Madame Pomfrey. But I'm sure I'd figure it out in the morning.