Chapter 14

I collapsed on a chair in the Common Room, terribly exhausted after classes. I even had Astronomy tonight, so I couldn't go to bed. My Transfiguration assignment might as well get started. I was hardly into it when Harry ran in. "Alex. I got a letter back." He said excitedly. Harry thrust a piece of paper into my hands. I would recognize that handwriting anywhere now.

Alex and Harry,
I couldn't risk sending Hedwig. Ever since the World Cup, the Ministry's been intercepting more and more owls, and she's too easily recognized. We need to talk, my godchildren, face-to-face. Meet me in the Gryffindor Common Room, 1:00 this Saturday night. And make sure you two are alone.
Sirius.
P.S. The bird bites.

I looked up from the letter after rereading it twice. "Does it really bite?" I asked. Next time, we use Sam. He's not a snowy owl in England. Harry lifted his hand, showing a small bandage around his pinky. I let out a small snort. "Dumbass."

Harry rolled his eyes and snatched the letter away. "Just make sure you're down here at that time, okay?" Harry folded the letter, and he put it in his back pocket. "Are you doing Transfiguration? Would you help out your favorite brother?"

I gave him a look. "Harry James, you are my only brother."

"So, by default, your favorite." He grinned. Can't argue with him there. I motioned for his paper, and we spent a good chunk of the evening working side by side.

~~~

I hadn't gotten a proper night sleep all week long, and this night was no different. I understood why Sirius picked such a late time, but I'm tired. I picked up the Daily Prophet to read over the article about the champions, but quickly closed it in frustration. Because, of course, that wretched witch got her facts all wrong. I laid it down on the arm of the couch. It was only 12:55, so I decided to get five minutes of shut eye. Harry would wake me up when he came down.
A couple minutes later, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Even without opening my eyes, I knew it was my brother. We shared a room. I know what his footsteps sound like. Rustling papers suggested him picking up that stupid article I left laying around. Those suspicions were correct when a frustrated sound escaped my brother's lips and the coals in the fire crackled. I sat up, looking at his back. "She really is wretched." I said, smiling a bit. 

Harry jumped and turned to me. "Merlin! Don't be so quiet. You'll scare people." I shrugged, moving off the couch to sit beside him in front of the burning paper. We were quiet when the fire started puffing and sputtering. A face popped out of the coals. Sirius! "Sirius?!" Harry and I gasped excitedly. "How-?" Harry started to ask but Sirius interrupted. 

"I don't have much time, so let me get straight to it." Sirius' voice was raspy and strained as though he was having trouble forming the words. "Did you or did you not put your name into the Goblet of Fire?" 

Harry's eyes darkened, and he turned even more frustrated. This happened every time someone asked him about that now. "No!" Harry exclaimed. Both Sirius and myself shushed him. 

I glanced over my shoulder, making sure no one was coming down. "I had to ask. Now, tell me about the dream you two have been having." I cringed thinking of it. I still have it every night. "Harry, you mentioned Wormtail and Voldemort, but who was the third man in the room?" I tried to remember his face. I've seen him before. I know I have... just not where. 

"I don't know." He muttered. 

"Me either, Sirius. I know I've seen him somewhere before..." I trailed off, struggling to find the memory. 

"You didn't hear a name?" Sirius asked. Harry and I both shook our heads. 

"Voldemort was giving that man a job to do. Something important." I explained. I remember vividly that they were talking about Harry and I. Well, our names weren't mentioned, but I could just feel it. 

Sirius nodded in his little fire form. "And what was that?" He asked. I nodded towards Harry for him to finish.

"He wanted... us. I don't know why. But he was going to use this man to get to us." Harry said. I bit the inside of my cheek. The thought of someone hurting my family made me physically ill. "But I mean, it was only a dream right?" 

"Yes. It was just a dream." Sirius tried reassuring him. I knew that was far from true. We have the same dreams frequently, but never this vividly or this often. "Look, you two. The Death Eaters at the World Cup, Harry, your name rising from that goblet. These are not just coincidences. Hogwarts isn't safe anymore." 

"What are you saying?" I loudly whispered. Harry shushed me gently. 

"I'm saying the devils are inside the walls. Igor Karkaroff? He was a Death Eater." Sirius started ranting. No surprise about Igor if I'm being honest. "And no one, no one stops being a Death Eater. Then there's Barty Crouch. Heart of stone. Sent his own son to Azkaban." Ah yes, the man forcing a fourteen year old into a dangerous tournament. 

Harry and I turned as we heard something behind us. He took a deep breath to keep his voice from shaking. "You think one of them put my name in the goblet?" 

"I haven't a clue who put your name in that goblet but whoever did is no friend to you. Either of you." His eyes left Harry and looked at me. "People die in this tournament." 

Harry began shaking his head. "I-I'm not ready for this, Sirius." 

"You have no choice." Sirius replied, taking a deep breath. We turned as another sound came from behind us. A shadow began walking down the stairs. "Look after each other." I took my cover, laying on the couch pretending I was asleep. There's no need for people to think we're conspiring or something. 

"Someone's coming!" Harry said in a hushed voice. 

As the person was almost down the stairs, Sirius said his last words. "Keep your friends close, kids." And he was gone. 

"Who are you talking to?" It was just Ron. Harry moved from the fireplace to behind the couch, behind me. Although I couldn't see them, I could hear every word. 

"What? Who says I was talking to anyone?" Harry retorted. I snorted mentally. Good one, Harry.

"I heard voices." Ron was just as snippy. I bit my tongue to keep from interrupting their conversation and give my input. 

Harry spoke up after a heartbeat of silence. "Maybe you're imagining things. Wouldn't be the first time."

And then... Ron turned bitter again. "You're probably just practicing for your next interview, I expect." I heard him retreating up the stairs without Harry saying another word. 

Harry walked over to my side. "C'mon. He's gone." 

"Don't let him get to you, Harry. He'll come around, and if he doesn't, I'll just hex him." Of course I was teasing. Maybe. Probably not. 

My brother smiled a little. "No need. If he doesn't believe me, I don't need friends like that." It hurt to see the two fighting, but friends fight. It's inevitable. We split ways at the staircase, promising to meet up for breakfast. Sirius' words haunted my mind as I slipped back into bed. 

People die in this tournament.