Changelings

The instant I feel the sack go over my head, I drop low in an attempt to slide out of it. Whoever is attacking me, however, is quick and are able to follow my movements without me escaping. My staff appears in my hands, and I swing it around to where I think the person is. I hear an "oof," and the tight hold on the sack loosens. I try to rip it off, but another pair of hands keeps me from doing so. I growl in frustration and swing my staff again, only for the person beyond the cloth to grab the staff. I try yanking it backwards, but the person is too strong. 

When I try again, the first person grabs my hands and forces them behind my back. I hear a "clink" as something wraps around my wrists, sealing them together. I don't let this deter me. As quick as I can, I turn around in a circle, letting my staff hit anyone on the way. I hear another hiss of pain before my progress halts, and my legs are kicked out from underneath me. 

From there, I am apparently too much of a nuisance to keep standing because someone drags me by my feet the rest of the way. I try to keep my head up, so the rocks can stop assaulting my brain. Harder than it might seem.

By the time whoever it is stops dragging me, I have a collection of bumps, bruises, and cuts all along my back and head. By now, I can guess who my assailants are. 

I am picked up from the floor and placed on a chair which I am then restrained to. I'm no escape artist-- I prefer to fight my way out-- and, at this point, the extra chains are unnecessary. I'm flattered I'm considered such a threat.

When the sack is finally pulled from my head, my earlier suspicions are accurate. There are two people in front of me. One is the lady from before. The other is a sickly looking man who twitches constantly. His pale hair lays in a mop on his head. Isha and Liaxare. Changelings, the both of them. Close as thieves and nothing but thieves. They are the "clean-up" crew for whenever another changeling messes up. 

"Funny seeing you here," Isha remarks, smiling. Her eyes flash yellow. "Mingling with humans. I would've thought you would've already poisoned all their drinks."

"Well, it hasn't quite come to that yet," I say dryly. 

She giggles. I have never doubted that both her and Liazare (Lee-az-ar-ey) are a little bit insane. "Oh, you poor soul. It's worse than queenie said! You actually care for these humans now!"

"That tends to happen when you share a bond of species," I retort. I pull at my bonds. Yep, no way am I getting out of these things.

She snorts. "Don't tell that to all the humans who murdered each other because they couldn't share. Ooh, or to the trolls." She makes her voice go deep. "I'm a good troll, so I'll kill all the GumGums." Her voice goes raspy. "Ah, I'm Gunmar. I'm the good troll, so I'll take over Troll Market and enslave all the trolls there." She laughs again. "Really. At least us changelings don't kill each other in such a dumb way." She flicks her braid off her shoulder. "Oh, it's so good to see you Sucinea. Everything is so boring in the shadow realm without you to tease."

"I prefer Amber, actually."

"Ooh, interesting. I would've taken you as a basalt person. Both are good flavors though."

I sigh. "I mean as my name. I've taken up Amber as my name."

"Well, haven't we all." She giggles again and starts dancing around. "Amber, Amber, Amber, Amber. Kinda does roll off the tongue." She frowns with her mouth as her eyes sparkle. "Sucinea sounds better though. Suuuuuucinea! Suciiinea! Sushicinea!" She dissolves into giggles. "Too fun! And it fits you SO well. So somber." She pulls her face into a scowl. "Urgh. I'm Sucinea. I have a duty to do this and this and this." Her face unwinds, and she cackles again.

I try to relax my face which is indeed pulling itself into a scowl. I take a deep breath and pull again on the restraints despite knowing it won't do anything. I decide my best option is to try and talk my way out. "How about we make a deal?"

Isha whips around to face me. "Ooh! A deal? You know I love deals." I do know. Which is why I asked. "What is it about? What is it about? Wait! Don't tell me! Let me try to guess...." She scrunches up her face and thinks. 

"I-I-Isha." Chills crawl up my spine at the sound of Liazare's voice. It had always unnerved me with its sheer unnatural quality. "The r-rules. R-r-rem-ember our queen's r-rules?"

Isha stops her pondering and pouts. "Oh, surely one little deal can't hurt? Surely queenie will let me do one insty little deal?" She sighs in response to her own question. "Oh, I know, I know. Death by execution and blah blah blah. What's the fun of this if I can't make some deals along the way?" She shakes her head and turns back to me. She wags her finger at me. "No deals 'till we're in Troll Market, kay? Queenie's orders."

"Troll Market? How do you expect to get into Troll Market?"

"Ooh, that's the exciting part. Your face when you find out...." she trails off as Liazare clears his throat. "Oh, go be a party pooper somewhere else, why don't you?" She tilts her head. "I can't tell you unfor-tu-nate-ly. But, you'll find out. And when you do." She mimes an explosion with her hands. "It will blow. Your. Mind."

A/N: It was fun writing Isha.