Gunmar

Using the Yarnelheigh is one of the top ten most painful experiences I have ever undergone. At first, when the darkness covers my vision, I only feel a slight discomfort in my stomach as though I had eaten something rotten. Then, the discomfort turns into a searing pain which spreads from my abdomen to encompass my whole body. I would've screamed if my body didn't feel paralyzed.

Then, it ends just as abruptly as it begins, leaving me with nothing but phantom pains. I shake away the shock and quickly transform into my more troll form as the world comes into focus around me.

I am in a cave of some sorts with rock as black as night surrounding me on all sides. Green crystals protrude from random places and glow with an unearthly light.

A snort of surprise behind me causes me to turn. And there he is. Gunmar the Black. Sitting with an eye that glows green as the rocks in a throne with a skull looming above it. 

"Who are you!" he demands. "Where did you come from?"

"So this is the Darklands," I answer, trying to collect my thoughts. "It's quite... quaint."

Gunmar half rises from his throne. "If you do not state who you are, I will get rid of you myself."

I smile at him. "Now, now, no need for that." I am enjoying myself. Is that a bad thing? "Morgana sent me to retrieve you."

"M- Morgana?" He looks stunned. Then he laughs. "You would make me believe that a skinny troll such as yourself speaks for Morgana?"

"I am no troll," I snarl. "I am a changeling." I throw up my arms. "I offer you the chance of a lifetime, and you laugh at me? Don't test me."

"And why should I be afraid of you, impure?" 

I growl at the name. I act on instinct. I summon my staff,  pull it back into a bow, and aim. The arrow explodes into a group of crystals on Gunmar's right, and he flinches from them. It scares me to realize I had been waiting for him to do that. The shocked look on his face makes me hungry for more. "I said don't test me," I growl through the jumble of emotions confusing me. It takes an effort for me to let my staff disappear again.

"You wield the power of Merlin," Gunmar realizes. "Traitor! Why should I listen to you?"

Part of me wants to bring back my bow and scare him some more, but I resist. "I am no traitor. Merlin may have made me into what I am, but I serve only Morgana. I live for the vengeance to crush Merlin's skull beneath my feet." My fists are clenched. I slowly relax them. "Now will you listen to me?"

"How do you plan on getting me out of here?" Gunmar asks. "I've tried countless times. It can only be done if the Trollhunter opens the Killahead Bridge."

"With this," I say and hold out the black stone. It no longer mesmerizes me. 

"What is that?" Gunmar is intrigued.

"It's name is not important," I reply because I had already forgotten its name. "It's what it can do that matters. This is your ticket out of the Darklands."

There is a hungry look in Gunmar's eyes. One I recognize. "What's the catch?"

Good question. "As long as you obey Morgana's commands, you will be free to roam Earth as you please. The Lady Pale is ready to bring the Eternal Night. All she needs is a captain."

"What about my GumGums? Is there a way to bring them?"

I pause. I had forgotten that Gunmar is not his army. How is Morgana planning to use him? "No. But you will have new trolls to lead on the outside."

The hunger in his eyes only grows. "How does it work?"

"If you will it, it will happen," I reply.

"What about the Trollhunter?"

I frown. "What about him?"

"Is he still alive? I wish to tear him limb for limb for preventing my freedom."

"Yes," I respond slowly. "He's still alive."

He snarls. "Good." He stands to his full height. I never realized how intimidating he really looks. I almost step back as he approaches. But, I stand up straighter instead. "When do we leave?"

"We leave when you are ready." I hold out the what's-its-name. The stone glows faintly in the dark cavern. 

He stands in front of me now. I never considered myself small, but, next to him, I feel like a midget. It frustrates me, so I glare at him all the harder. 

He inspects the stones and plucks one of them out of my hands. He studies it from all angles. "Interesting. All my attempts to get out, and a simple stone will suffice."

"Where there's a will there's a way," I reply. "Morgana is eager to see you freed from your prison."

"Is she free of hers?"

I smile. "Of course. How else do you think I have come to be here?"

He leans closer to me and inhales. "You smell like a human."

My heart beats in my chest. "I was one, once. But no longer."

He paces around me. Maybe I shouldn't have let him take the stone until he promised to come with me. "Your eyes betray you. You still have the heart of a human."

"A heart only," I growl back, nervous to where this is heading. "I am devoted mind and body to Morgana."

"Do you not care for your species?"

"I have shared nothing but blood with them. Now, not even that. Morgana raised me. The humans tried to feed me to trolls. Why should I care for them?"

"I sense hesitation in you." He continues to stalk me like I am his prey. I dislike it. Something dark gurgles up into my system. 

"I do not care what you think," I snarl. "I serve Morgana and Morgana alone. If you will not come with me to the surface than you are no use to her!"

"How do I know this isn't a trap?"

"If you refuse to recognize a gift for what it is, you are a fool. You have been trapped down here so long: what do you have to loose?"

I know the instant Gunmar snaps because he lets out a roar and swings his sword down on my head. I roll out of the way and summon my staff. "Attack me again, and I will show you no mercy."

Gunmar laughs. "You think you can stand up to me? I am Gunmar the Black!"

"All that pales in comparison to what Morgana can do," I hiss at him. "Know your place."

He studies me for a moment. "Fine. I will come with you. But, if you are lying to me, I will kill you where you stand."

I smile. "Good thing I'm not lying."

He clutches the stone in his hand, and closes his eyes. In a flash of light, he is gone. 

I exhale in relief. Holding out my own stone, I concentrate and am whisked back to the Heartstone.

A/N: We are close to the end.