Trolls

I laugh. It comes from deep in my throat and echoes in the Heartstone. "I should have realized. Merlin worked his dark magic on you too."

"I chose this," he replies. He stands opposite me with his sword raised. Ready. I see the illusion that was disguising Tobius, Claire, and Aaaarrrgghh has worn off behind him. Of course the crafty wizard would use the same tricks Morgana has used for as long as I've known her. They stand ready to fight. "How did it happen to you?"

"Let's just say Merlin didn't give me a choice." I also stand at the ready. So far, Morgana has done nothing. I know she could take them all out with one blow. So I also know she's waiting for something.

"Step away from Morgana, Amber," Claire speaks up from behind him. "We're only here for her."

"It's not Amber," I growl. The sound echoes in my throat. "It's Sucinea. And, if you wish to attack my queen, you must first go through me."

"What happened to you, Am-- Sucinea?" Jim asks. "Morgana needs to be stopped."

"I woke up," I deadpan. "The Pale Lady has protected me my whole life. Now, it's time that I protect her."

"She's trying to bring back Gunmar!" Toby protests. "How is that okay?"

I am surprised by this. But, not for long. I remember all Morgana's talk about preparing for the Eternal Night by making an army. I thought she was talking about the changelings, but she really meant Gunmar. I hesitate for but a moment. But, no. Morgana had been clear in her intentions. I had just been too blind to see them. "Who else is better to assure the Eternal Night?" I ask. "Gunmar is nothing compared to Morgana. He will be but a pawn in her game."

Jim growls. A sound I am familiar with. "It's clear she is not to be reasoned with. We'll need to take her down as well."

Morgana cackles from behind me. I flinch at the sound. "Oh. You are all fools if you think you can win. Where is Merlin? I see he continues to be a coward. Come back when you pose more of a threat." She waves her hand, and runes etch themselves into the floor beneath their feet. "Goodbye." And they disappear in a flash of yellow light.

"Well that was certainly eventful," Morgana remarks.

"Why did you do that?" I ask, glaring at the place they were. "I could've handled them."

"I'm sure you could have. But, the Trollhunter is nothing compared to Merlin. I must lure him in, so we can destroy him."

I turn to look at her. "How are you planning on bringing back Gunmar? Wasn't the Killahead Bridge destroyed?"

"There are other ways into the Darklands," she replies. "Don't you worry. All is being taken care of."

I follow after her floating form. "You mean Angor Rot is taking care of it."

"Of course. My champion goes where I command."

I hesitate. "I never asked. How did Angor Rot survive? I thought the Trollhunter killed him."

Morgana pauses, floating above the ground. She seems surprised by my question. "Well, by that point, my power had grown great. His soul gravitated towards me as it should. And, as long as a soul is intact, the body is not so hard to create." She turns to me. "Why do you ask?"

I shrug, unnerved by her gaze. "Wasn't sure if I should add resurrection to your list of powers."

"Ressurection is not so hard as long as you have something to put in the body."

It isn't until later that Angor Rot returns. By the look of triumph on his face, he has clearly found what he was looking for. "Come, my champion," Morgana calls. "Show me what you have acquired." Angor Rot kneels before her, presenting a small, black object. It seems to whisper with malevolent energy. "Yes," Morgana breathes, staring into its surface. "The Yarnelheigh."

"The what?" I ask. I can't seem to tear my eyes away from the stone.

Morgana lightly plucks it out of Angor Rots hand. "The Yarnelheigh gives whoever wills it a one time opportunity to enter or exit the Darklands." She notices me staring at it. "It is hypnotizing, is it not? It calls to whoever gazes upon it to use it. Many have been sent to the Darklands by its will with no way to return."

"How does this help us?" I ask. "Whoever is sent there will be trapped."

Morgana grins. "Such magics can be fooled easily. Say, by a changeling with two forms." 

I break my staring contest with the stone and look up at Morgana. "Me?"

"You are the only one I can trust with this mission," Morgana agrees. "Any other changeling would not be able to persuade Gunmar."

"I--" I look back at the stone. It's very hard to concentrate with it constantly calling to me to use it. "Wouldn't only Gunmar or I be able to return? There's only one stone."

"That can be easily changed." The stone levitates in Morgana's hand and splits apart with a horrible screeching noise. "There. It is the same stone but split in two. You will both be able to use it, but you will still have to change forms to use it twice."

I gulp. "And you're sure I'll be able to come back?"

"Of course. When have I ever lied to you?"

I take a deep breath in and out. Bringing back Gunmar is not what I expected from siding with Morgana. But, wouldn't that be the best way to take revenge on Merlin and his Trollhunter? Clearly, Jim had been in on the scheme to make me a troll since he had been one himself. But, unlike me, he actually got to choose.

"Where will I find Gunmar?" I ask. Morgana smiles like she had just won the lottery.

"His throne room is in the same place as the Heartstone," Morgana replies. "You should appear right in front of him."

"What should I do if he won't come?" 

Morgana smirks. "You know the answer. Make sure he will pay for that mistake."

"My queen," Angor Rot interjects. "Perhaps there is someone more suited for this task. Do you really think Sucinea can....?"

"Are you implying that my apprentice is not suited for this task." Morgana turns to glare at Angor Rot.

"Of course not. I was merely suggesting that...."

"I know what you're suggesting. My decision is final. My apprentice shall go."

Angor Rot bows his head. "Yes, my queen." When Morgana turns away, I can see him glaring at her. The sight sends shivers down my spine.

"Now, my apprentice. Go with my blessing." Morgana holds out the Yarnelheigh to me.

I frown. "Now?"

"Do you have something better to do?" It's a veiled threat. I'm not sure how to take it.

"No. I just... so soon?"

"No time like the present."

I look at the stones in her hand, calling out to me, urging me on. I know its bad, but I want to give in so badly. 

I remember the growing distrust on the Trollhunter's and his friends' faces when I told them I would protect Morgana. The memory fills me with anger. I had seen that expression one time too many when I had done nothing to deserve it. Many now it was time to give them a proper reason.

I reach out my hand and will myself to the Darklands.

A/N: Since when did I update regularly?