Protector Part Two

My mind races furiously as I try to figure out where Jim could be. With so little sleep, my mind could barely function, let alone use process and elimination to narrow down my search.

As I race throughout the halls, I notice the students crying out in terror or embarrassment, and I wonder what horror they are experiencing. "For the glory of the Trollhunters, daylight is mine to protect," I whisper and relax as the familiar outfit appears on me and the staff morphs into existence. Time for stealth mode. I flick my staff around me and stumble slightly as I look down to find myself with no feet. I ignore the uneasiness in my gut and continue on.

After only a few minutes, the foul stench of Angor Rot hits my nose. I stumble again, almost running into a crying Steve. Another turn, and I let out a squeak as I see Angor Rot battling against Jim. Luckily, I can also hear pounding footsteps as Claire and Toby come to his aid. None have the pixie effect. All are seriously outnumbered. I watch as if in slow-mo as Angor Rot fells a blow on Toby and holds a knife to his throat. Toby's eyes widen in horror.

"Not another step." Angor's voice is low, gravely, and frankly terrifying. I shiver as bad memories cross my mind. Everyone is frozen as Angor slowly inches towards Jim.

It takes me a couple of seconds to realize that my feet are already silently moving towards him. It takes me even longer to recognize my hand is guiding a staff towards Angor Rot's face. The instant it does, I notice my hands become visible, and I curse my stupidity. Toby escapes the monster's hands and brings his Warhammer apon Angor's feet. Angor hisses in pain, but his eyes remain firmly rooted on me. I raise an eyebrow in challenge and race off down the corridors. Sighing in relief, I hear Angor Rot pounding towards me from behind. Jim is safe.. now what about me? I skid around a corner and practically jump through the gym doors. A second later, Angor comes barrelling after me, and I quickly close and lock the doors. He turns to face me, his face pure rage.

I look into his yellow eye and he looks into my blue eyes. His eyes open wide in recognition and harden just as quickly. "Sucinea."

"I no longer go by that name."

"And apparently you have also forgotten our wisdom. Protecting the Trollhunter is the worst possible crime."

"I have decided to go down the path of righteousness." I stick my chin up. "This is who I am now."

"Is that why you look like you haven't slept for days?" Why could he have not come a day later when I would've been rested?

"Perhaps."

He starts to circle me, to bait me. "A Stalkling was found the day you left. Were you so scared that you couldn't face it?"

No emotions show beyond my stone face. "I only ran because Merlin came to me in my time of peril." I cock my head. "And the Pale Lady didn't."

A knife appears in Angor Rot's hand. "It is not wise for you to speak ill of your own master."

"She may hold part of my soul, but she will never be my master," I growl. "Something you should've realized as well." I swing my staff at Angor's head, yet he barely blocks it with his knife. The next few moments go by in such a blur that I can barely tell what is going on. Merlin had trained me well, but the stone skinned warrior is relentless with his attacks. More than that, he knows me well.. too well.

"I assume my pixies went into your head. You're too tired today to have noticed," he mocks me.

"What of it?" I ask, trying to keep his attacks at bay.

"You saw Strikler, didn't you." I freeze for only a second, but that is all the time Angor Rot needs. His hand comes barrelling out of nowhere and collides with my gut. The air leaves my body, and I gasp for the non-existing breath in my lungs. By the time I had regained it, Angor has a Creeper's Sun Blade to my throat. He leans in close to whisper to me. "I could kill you now. No one would even care. But Morgana has something special in mind for you." I shiver. He sees the fear in my eyes and digs his knife deeper into my skin, just enough to draw blood. I grit my teeth as the poison enters my system. Smiling that evil smile of his that sends goosebumps running up my arms, Angor pulls me to my feet, still holding the knife at my throat. In his unsteadiness, I stomp on his foot. Hissing in pain, he lets the knife fall away from my neck. I duck down and swipe my staff beneath him.

Now, I stand over him. "Surrender!"

He smirks. "Never." He arms moves faster than I can follow and smoke fills the air. Coughing, I swing my arm around to clear the green gas. By the time my sight has returned, the gym is empty. "COWARD!" I scream out, not caring who hears. Then, I limp to the door, whistling a sharp note. Yellow flashes of light that are pixies flock to me and, with a few short whistles, I send them away from the school for good. Then, I deactivate my armor, sighing in relief that the danger has disappeared for now. I open the gym door and take a seat against a nearby locker, closing my eyes with exhaustion. I just hope nothing will attack the school while I sleep...