𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

"Red knights?" I blurted, staring at the group of girls with my mouth agape.

"Yes, the queen must know you're here," Heejin replied while scanning the area for a hideout. With her furrowed eyebrows and pouted lip, it seemed as though she was about to start crying.

"Heejin are you alright?" I asked, taking a step closer to the bunny-like girl. She flinched as I made my way closer to her, puzzling me. "Heejin what―"

"We have to run―now," she urged, gazing into my eyes. She looked so worried―much more than the other girls.

What happened between her and The Red Queen causing her to act like this?

I nodded, Heejin doing the same in response.

"Let's go."

We began to follow Heejin, although she was a much faster sprinter than the rest of us. We lost her a few times, as we decided to run through the tall grass to stay hidden. She eventually slowed her pace for us to keep up, but I must admit that I was quite tired after arriving at―

Where are we?

"I think we've lost them for now," informed Heejin, who was still slightly on edge. She brushed off her pants and stood up straight, trying to think of a new plan.

Now, we were on a small patch of dirt with tall grass surrounding us like building walls. The grass had to be at least six feet tall―much taller than me.

I dropped down to a squat position, trying to steady my breath―being locked up in your room for several years doesn't involve much physical activity. 

I looked up at the rest of the group who were talking amongst themselves.

"We cannot go to The White Queen's palace now," Heejin warned. "They'll be blocking the way." 

"Then where do you suggest we go?" Chaewon asked, tilting her head to the side. The twins walked up to Heejin as well, swarming her with a mixture of questions and comments.

As I watched them converse, I didn't notice Yeojin crouched down beside me.

"Y/n," she said softly, making me jump. She gave me an apologetic smile and gently placed her hand on my shoulder. "How are you doing? Are things moving too fast for you?" She asked in a comforting tone. 

"No, I'm fine," I confirmed, making her relax a bit. In reality, I was slightly overwhelmed, but I didn't want her to worry. So many things were happening in such a short amount of time, it seemed as though my brain was always one step behind.

"Well that's good," she replied, removing her hand from my body. I internally sulked at her hand moving away from me, wanting to have that small moment last forever. 

We sat there in silence, waiting for the other four girls to conclude. I gazed down at the dirt beneath me, tracing my finger across it as I drew squiggles around my feet. Yeojin watched me contently, following my movements with her gleaming eyes.

I looked up at the sky as a red bird with a long purple beak flew by, gracefully flapping its wings as it soared through the pale blue air. It had no trouble flying, as there was not a single gust of wind at the moment―everything seemed quite calm. Everything except the loud bickering coming from the other girls a few feet away from me.

I finally stood up and walked towards Heejin as Yeojin trailed behind me. The girls continued to argue―Jungeun being the loudest―until Chaewon noticed my presence. 

"Jungeun shut it," she snapped, making the girl roll her eyes as she closed her mouth. "Y/n is everything okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," I started, allowing for a small grin to form on their faces. "But may I ask where we're planning to go? Didn't you say we only lost them for now?"