𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

**VIDEO ABOVE: play when noted**

It was then when reality hit me a little too hard.

This wasn't something I could just escape. This wasn't a dream, it was real. 

Very real.

There were moments where this felt like a mere dream—but definitely not now. The sweat running down the back of my neck was indeed actual, along with the intense beating of my heart and the tremble of my fingers by my side.

"So," I spoke in a breathy voice. "This is the day, huh?"

"Correct," Hyunjin replied, now rolling up the scroll, probably for the better. I wasn't sure how much longer I could look at it, and Yeojin was clearly thinking the same thing, seeing as her usually cheerful expression was now a nauseated look.

If I'm being completely honest, I would take meeting a new wife of my father over this right now. At least then I would be feeling anger rather than immense fear.

But I made them a promise, and I couldn't fail them. Clearly, I was brought here for a reason, right? It wasn't a coincidence that I fell down that rabbit hole. 

"Alright," I breathed out. "How far away is it?"

"Five days, fifteen hours, seven minutes, and forty-eight seconds," Hyunjin answered. "Forty-seven, forty-six, forty-five..."

Oh shit.

"How do you even know that?" Jungeun asked Hyunjin with a chuckle. Hyunjin stopped counting and turned to the blonde-haired girl.

"Because, unlike you, I am undoubtedly a genius."

A snort escaped Jiwoo as Hyunjin made the remark, which was then followed by a loud "ow" after Jungeun smacked her shoulder.

"Five days, plus we have to get to the white queen, and manage not to die in the process... doesn't seem that difficult, right?" I piped up, attempting to seem optimistic, but the slight quiver in my tone made it seem less convincing.

All the girls smiled and nodded, obviously fooled by my false confidence. I grinned back at them and turned to Hyunjin, who was occupied by something on the ground. I didn't think much of it. After all, wise people can be odd too.

"Well then," Heejin beamed. "That settles it! C'mon!"

Everybody followed her after bidding Hyunjin goodbye, soon chatting amongst themselves as per usual. As I trailed at the back of the group, I couldn't help but notice Hyunjin still staring down at the dirt. I stopped, letting the group get ahead of me. I could catch up with them in a minute.

"Hey, Hyunjin?" I called out while approaching her. 

She looked up from the ground and gave me a weak smile. I stepped toward her when I noticed a glisten in her eyes. The shimmer fell from her eye and onto her cheek, descending slowly until it rolled off her chin and onto the ground.

Tears. Hyunjin was crying.

"Hyunjin—"

"I lost my father because of The Red Queen."

Oh.

"You can't let history repeat itself, I beg you," she choked out weakly. I never thought I would feel sorry for someone who called me stupid, but here I am.

"I'll try."

"No, you can't. You don't know what she's capable of... you have to promise."

It was strange to see her cry. Although I had only met her today, I thought I knew her so well. She seemed so calm, so sophisticated. She didn't strike me as someone who would have... feelings. It sounds despicable of me to say that, but she didn't show the slightest bit of emotion when I first met her. She treated me like nonsense—but now she's begging me to succeed.