Chapter 4

The sun was shining in through the bay window in the kitchen while Suzie enjoyed her poached eggs and tea for breakfast. While she didn't use the entire huge house she lived in, she did spend most mornings in the kitchen, enjoying the smells that Yilin cooked up in the kitchen. The sunlight made the whole room glow as the golden paint on the walls seemed to be made out of that precious metal itself. With that and the wonderful aromas from the food, it was always a relaxing way to start the day. If there was nothing urgent pressing issue from Suzie's operations, she would always come down for breakfast.

The kitchen window looked out to the pool, and beyond that was her room on top of the library. She could see the row of newly planted rose bushes at the base of the lattices that Johnny had climbed up. She smiled as she looked at the pretty pink flowers blooming already in the bushes. She didn't really care about the color or the flowers themselves actually. The smile was from thinking of the thorns on the branches the rose bushes if Johnny ever tried to repeat that feat.

It was a glorious Thursday morning, just over two weeks before spring break and the weather was already perfect. In fact, if she didn't have to put up with pretending to learn more in school today, the day would be wonderful. She could take her laptop out to the patio and enjoy the weather while she worked. Now that she had her nuclear weapon, she needed another operation to occupy her mind, and she needed to do some research to figure out what it would be.

Turning her attention back to her breakfast, Suzie took another bite of the eggs as she watched a bit of the world wide news on the kitchen television. The world was its usual mess of confusion, which would be good if she decided she needed some new hardware from somewhere. There didn't look to be anything new going on in Europe, more of the same economic trouble and a few protests, but nothing that concerned her too terribly. It looked like NATO was holding a summit over the weekend, and there was an art theft in Amsterdam. The art theft wasn't her, though she thought it might be something to get into, and she would probably hear about the NATO meeting over the weekend. She had ways to get information from NATO, but it vexed her that those methods kept her up to a week behind the events. She was going to have to work on that.

Moments later, nanny Yilin came into the kitchen smiling. "Come on Miss Suzie, it is time to get to school."

"I know, I just don't want to go to school today," complained Suzie

"You say that every morning!" smiled Yilin.

"And you still take me every day!"

"You know you still need to go to school, even as smart as you are," Yilin answered with a small smile.

School was only a ten minute drive from the house, and Yilin maneuvered the large silver Mercedes around the car rider loop to where a student in a yellow school patrol sash opened the car door. "Have a nice day!" called out Yilin as Suzie walked into the school. Suzie waved after her, though she couldn't see Yilin through the tinted glass, thinking that Yilin was as close to a friend as she had these days.

Entering the school was always like putting on a mask at Halloween to Suzie. Gone was the mastermind of countless heists and operations with the anonymity of hiding behind her laptop, replaced by Suzie the bright and bubbly student with friends galore and a passion for learning.

She hated it.

Walking down the hallway, Suzie waved and smiled at all of the students she recognized, while making her way to Mr. Kelly's classroom.

"Hi Simone!" 

"Hi Suzie!"

"Hey Lane!"

"Hi Suzie!"