Dix | 10 | Lady Wifi

"And this one Vivi, this one is called an Aequorea victoria -"

"A wha- wha - wha?" I stammered. He laughed, his blue and green eyes glowing.

"It's often called a Crystal Jelly, most notably because of its bioluminescence, which it gets from a fluorescent molecule called GFP. I saw this one when I was out diving last semester to collect samples of plankton in the water."

My young eyes sparkled as he pointed between the two brightly colored jellyfish. The brilliant blue from the illuminated water cast a glow over Cedar's face. His eyes twinkled as he began another lecture on the life of the Crystal Jelly.

I was twelve. Cedar was six years older than me, and captured the attention of every business man and woman who were interested in exploring the deep blue sea.

"Alright kids, time to go." A smooth voice called. Without further ado, Cedar scooped me up and placed me on his shoulders, spinning me around in circles. Giggling loudly as my soft brown hair bounced around, Cedar waltzed us over to where my mother stood.

Breathing loudly, I ran around the corner. My feet pounded softly against the graveled floor as I pumped my arms beside me. 'Nothing like a little painful memory to start the day,' I thought as I ran down the sidewalk.

Unable to sleep after finishing a paper, I decided that a run would help calm my nerves. The sky was a dark velvet blue, and on the black and blue canvas, were specs of painted white stars. The streets were clear, and the cars were all off and locked.

I was stunned at how silent the world was at four in the morning. My ponytail swayed back and forth as my lungs burned for oxygen. I love running, and I hardly found time to get outside to do it. Yet, my homework finally being finished and my mind unable to quiet down, I opted for a quick run around the block.

"Ma mére!" I giggled, smiling broadly at my mom. "Did you see the A- Ah-kore-e-yay Victoria Cedar is studying?" Cedar grimaced at my butchered pronunciation, but didn't say anything. He smiled lightly, staring at my mom.

"Yes dear, I did. Now its late, and you have school tomorrow." My mother answered, her long hair braided down her back. "Now lets head back- "

"Ms. Bloom-Beaumont!" A proud voice boomed from somewhere behind me. "Just a moment of your time before you go! I believe congratulations are in order!"

I cringed, briefly shutting my eyes at the name. My old name.

Four years later, and I still couldn't bear hearing it.

My mother and I turned to see a salt and peppered-hair man racing down the silver steps. He quickly descended the spiral staircase and was before us in an instant. The lights of the museum were all dimmed, casting a shadow over the room. The only real light came from the glowing tanks of sea-life.

"Your son," the man said, panting as he pulled up in front of us. "Is by far, one of the best marine biologists we've had. I'm proud to say that will be joining our company as soon as he finishes high-school."

My mother smiled proudly at Cedar, and he remained with a guarded expression. He gently lifted me off his shoulders and placed me down on the ground. I looked up at my brother, his tall frame towering over me. Cedar's handsome features hardened into a serious expression. He nodded firmly, looking pleased at the man's words.

Running faster, I pushed myself harder. I ran farther, faster, and harder. I rounded the corner again, deciding without thinking that I was going to run another mile. I couldn't get the memories to stop. I couldn't stop thinking about him.