Chapter 05 | Timebreaker (Part 1)

My phone buzzed as I was just finishing the last of the math equation. I looked over at my phone, where it lay on my desk. The screen was illuminated, a green text message icon on the screen. I put down my pencil and my calculator, and grabbed my phone. I saw Juleka's name on the screen as I unlocked my phone. The text messaging app filled my screen as I read her text.

        "Don't forget! Alix's race is today! You coming?" The text read. I sighed, biting my lip. I thought it over. I wasn't a very social person, and going to the race would mean I would have to talk to people. Also, I had a ton of math homework to finish. 

        Mom and Lily were out shopping right now, which gave me two hours of alone time... Something I didn't come by very often. Mom was always trying to include me in so many things, and sometimes I just wanted to be alone... to think, and to just have some space.

        "Who's going?" I typed, hoping that Marinette wouldn't be. She had been nothing but mean to me in the past couple of weeks I've been at school. 

       Sticking her foot out while I was walking, whispering behind my back, snickering with Alya when I walked by them down the hall... But I'm not going to sink down to her level and start talking or gossiping about her behind her back because that's not who I am. It's just, the last thing I expected when we moved here was that I would be bullied.

       Never the less, I continued to pretend I didn't hear Alya and Marinette were saying, even though it felt like knives to my heart every time. But we couldn't leave... I couldn't run away from these problems because eventually, they'll come back to bite me.

       My phone buzzed, snapping me from my thoughts.

       "The whole class... Please don't be the only one who doesn't show up." My heart sank at the message. Marinette would be there. That would mean I would have to suffer outside of school. I thought it over. I looked down at my homework, contemplating texting Juleka that I couldn't make it because of homework. 

       I leaned back in my chair, chewing on my lip. I could take the easy way out, let Marinette win, and just make an excuse as to why I can't show up. Or, I could show up, and piss Marinette off. I smirked, I liked the second idea better already.

       My phone buzzed again. 

       "Hello? Vi? You still there?" I stared at my phone, trying to come to a conclusion. I was mostly sold on the idea of going, but some part of me was telling me to stay home, that something was going to happen that I couldn't control. 

       Mom was off trying to apply for a job with Lily. After applying for a job, mom said they were then going to go grocery shopping. I had time to go to the race, I just didn't want to go. My thoughts drifted to Adrien.

       Would he be there? He may as well be my only real friend at school right now, considering he's the only one that will talk to me and not whisper behind my back. The other girls pretend that they don't, but I can see it on their faces when I walk up to them, or walk by them to class. You can definitely tell when someone's been talking about you... the way all the conversation goes silent, the way they all look up at you with their guilt ridden faces.

       "Yeah I'm here... just thinking. Hypothetically, if I did come... what would we do after the race? Just all go home?" I typed. The dotted box appeared, letting me know she was typing.

       "Nah... Kim was saying that he wanted to take us all out for lunch afterwards, but a couple people couldn't stay. Everyone would be there except for Marinette, Sabrina, and Rose. Please tell me you can come... I don't want to be all alone at lunch." The message read. No Marinette? I'm in.