Impression

After a busy rush in the salon, a few hours of frustration trying to get ready and an hour and fifteen minutes of driving, I finally arrived at the hotel just after five o'clock.

The hotel itself is stunning. The grand staircase at the entrance is to die for but internally I feel like I'm dieing myself. In all the odd occasions in my life where I've been nervous, none have come as close to how I feel at this very moment.

What was I thinking agreeing to come?

    "Excuse me" A deep voice says startling me. I turn to see Frank looking at me with concern. "Are you okay love?"

I nod my head. "Yes sorry. I'm a last minute guest for Martin and Judith's wedding"

    "You look familiar. Do I know you?"

    "Nikki Olsen. Ian's friend and boss. I was at Ethan's.. wedding.. disaster" I wince trying to find the right words.

    "Ah yes, you're the young lady who livened the day up for him" He states and I nod admittedly. "Are they aware you're here?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Ethan, Martin and Killian asked me to come this morning when I was doing Anne's hair. Ethan even asked me to be his plus one but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to come but I did tell Ian I was coming so I don't actually know if he told the others" I explain in one long breath causing Frank to laugh.

    "Well they're off getting photographs taken at the moment but why don't I show you to the bar  and we get you a drink"

    "Sounds great, thank you" I smile politely and stroll through the hotel with Frank.

    "You know I don't think I've ever seen one girl have such an impact on all my boys... and Judith and Claire"

    "I don't know why I would, there's nothing special about me" I simper.

    "Well I don't believe that" Frank shakes his head and glimpses sideways at me, "Maybe it's that kind heart of yours"

    "Kind heart?" I repeat dubiously.

Frank stops walking and turns to face me, nodding his head. "You took the worst day of my son's life and turned it around even though you didn't know him. It takes a really kind heart to do something like that. You made a lasting impression on him and everyone who's face you put a smile on that day"

I smile coyly up at Frank, unsure how to respond to such kind words.

    "Come on, let's get you that drink" He says chirpily and heads for the bar.

    "Nikki?" I hear before I even reach the bar. I turn to see Ian grinning at me, with Daniel next to him. "Oh my god you look stunning" Ian says admiring my outfit.

I'd settled on a simple black, mid-length bodycon dress with my black court high-heels; And since my hair is short there isn't much that can be done with it except straighten it.

    "You sound surprised" I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously.

    "I just can't remember the last time I seen you.. not in jeans"

Next to me Frank chuckles as I roll my eyes. "I better go show my face for some of these photos, I hope we get to chat more later" Frank says.

I nod my head. "I'll be around" I smile at him before he disappears into the crowd of guests.

    "Wait, aren't you supposed to be in photos too. Groomsman duties and all that"

    "Nah, They're finished with me, so how come you decided to come?"

    "Well I was slightly worried that Killian would actually turn up at my house and carry me here. Ethan asked me to come as a favour and Marie convinced me to"

    "So what you're saying is that it took a lot to get you're stubborn ass here" Daniel chuckles teasingly.

    "Pretty much" I giggle, nodding my head admittedly.

    "Well I'm glad you're here" Ian chimes. "Come on" He instructs, guiding me towards an empty table. I pull out the soft armchair and sit. Ian sits opposite me while Daniel gets us drinks.

    "Nice job dusting those shoes" A familiar voice chirps behind me and I twist in my seat to look up at Ethan. Like Ian, he's wearing a navy suit with a light pink tie and looks extremely dashing.

    "At one stage I was contemplating coming barefoot"

    "Yeah well as the famous quote goes, 'you don't need shoes to eat cake'"

Ethan holds his hand out to me. Slipping my hand in his I feel my heart skip a beat as he assists me in standing. He pulls me gently towards him, His arms slip around me, embracing me.

It takes my brain a millisecond to register what's happening. I wrap my arm around him, holding him for a moment longer than a normal hug would last. I'm not usually a hugging person but this hug is different. This one I don't want to end. I want to stay in his arms for as long as humanly possible.

Well it's definite, those feelings I had for him haven't dispersed over the years.

    "No way, Nikki came!" Killian rejoices.

Breaking free from Ethan I turn to see Killian coming towards me with a smiley faced Claire next to him and a toddler clasped in his arms.

    "Hi" I giggle coyly .

Killian passes the little girl to Claire and embraces me, lifting me from the ground.

Now I'm glad I didn't wear a short or flowy dress.

    "Put the poor girl down" Claire sighs and Killian automatically does as instructed. "How are you?" She smiles.

    "I'm good thanks" I reply politely before turning my attention to the little girl in her arms. "And what is this little princess's name?"

   "This is Lily" Claire says informatively.

    "She's gorgeous" I compliment, smiling sweetly at the cute little flower girl with short light brown hair and the oh so familiar hazel eyes.

    "Of course she is, she's related to me" Martin interjects jokingly. "Glad you could make it" He smiles and hugs me. "Is Judith aware you're here?"

I shake my head. "I'm not actually here long"

Before Martin can reply, a member of staff calls out asking us to make our way to the dining room.

As everyone begins making their way inside I stand still, unsure if I even have a seat.