Thirty Three

I spent the next day with Stephanie, showing her around New York, visiting all the places I thought she would like. We hit the ice skating rink, where I fell flat on my ass so many times but at least, I laughed every time that I fell.

We ate lunch and went to the mall. I paid for all the things she liked because I was her big sister and the one who had a paying job. I bought a few things for my parents and brother. It was a good day well spent, and despite having such a good time with my sister that I haven't had in a while, I still found myself missing Rogue. Missing his smile and touches. Missing the way he kissed me and held me like I was a treasure. I missed talking to him, but I didn't want to call him. He didn't call me either because he didn't want to bother me while I was hanging out with Stephanie. He didn't want to take all my time away. He cared enough to give me space to have fun with my sister, which I thought was sweet, and it was why I resisted the urge to contact him myself.

When we went back home, she FaceTimed Lauren with my computer to show her the ugly stuffed animal that I bought for Arden. It was a hidden joke between Lauren and me—that whoever got a kid first, we would buy the ugliest stuffed animal for him or her.

"What do you think?" she asked, lifting the duck to the camera. "Do you think he will like it?"

Lauren, who was holding Arden in her arms, gave a slight nod of her head, grinning. "It's the prettiest thing he's ever got," she responded. For a baby who was only a few months old, he was quiet.

Stephanie snorted. "Why are you lying?"

"I told her if you want to scare Arden, you should just send in his dad," I said, then laughed when she glared at me. I leaned closer to the camera, trying to take a peek at him. "I can't believe he looks more like Mason than he does with you. You gave birth to him. He should have looked more like you."

"If he continues being pretty, he might just have a lot of girls falling for him," Stephanie said, gushing over him. His lips spread into a wide smile as if he knew what she was saying. "See, he's already stealing my heart."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "When are you coming back? I thought I should task you into bringing your sister with you. How long has it been since she's visited? She hasn't even held her godson." She gave me a chastised look.

"I will come, I promise, Lauren. As soon as I know when I can. Work won't let me take a few days off and I have already used my vacation days."

Stephanie glanced at me briefly before looking back at Lauren. "I doubt Beth will come home any time soon, not after getting a boyfriend. She won't even tell me who he is."

I pinched and twisted her arm, and she gave a small cry. Lauren gaped at me in confusion before her eyes widened in understanding, and I didn't even have to guess who she was thinking about because I kinda did give myself up a few weeks ago.

I winced when she exclaimed, "Beth, are you serious? You're going out with him?"

Stephanie looked between us in confusion. "Wait, you know who he is?"

"Shut up." I pushed her a few inches away, settling in front of the camera. "I can truly explain, but there's just so much, Lauren. He's not what we all think he is. He's different. Misunderstood."

A frown came over her face for a few seconds. "Do you like him?"

I nodded.

She unscrewed her face and sighed. "Who am I to tell you who to date, Beth? You're old enough to know what's right, and if you like him, then he must really be an amazing man for him to tie you down into a relationship. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that you chose him. Trust me, I'm trying not to flip right now."