Twenty

I was such a fuck up. After running out of Rogue's office and company, I had nowhere else to go, so I ran back home. While I stood in front of my door, I thought about the possibility of Rogue coming after me and that scared me shitless. I texted Fallon while she was out with her mother and told her I got locked out of my flat and if it was okay to stay in hers while I waited for my locks to get changed. She texted me back, and I was happy she didn't mind me staying over.

Since we had both given each other an extra key to our flats, I used my key and entered inside, locking the door behind me. If Rogue were to show up, I knew he wouldn't be able to find me here.

Fallon's flat was colorful. There were so many colors, prints, and embroidery. But still, I found it much cozier than mine. I dumped my stuff on the ground and lowered on her couch, closing my eyes for a moment, and when I did, I was taken back to that moment I let myself be vulnerable and admitted to Rogue that there was something between us, and then let him touch and kissed me. I didn't think anything would ever make me feel better after that. I got my phone out of my bag to call Lauren. She didn't pick up after a few seconds, then it went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, it's me." I knew my voice sounded weird, and I also knew Lauren would pick it right up. I didn't mean to sound like that, and knowing her, she would get so worked up about it. "Laurie, I have a major crisis. Please, call me when you get this. Bye."

I dropped my hand and threw my head back, letting out a frustrated sound. My phone jumped to life in my hand, and I accepted the call without looking at the caller ID, assuming it was Lauren calling me back.

"Hey, that was fas—"

"Hello, Beth," West spoke softly into the phone.

My eyes widened as I straightened and switched the phone to the other ear, almost gasping out, "West." I tried to sound happy that he called, but honestly, I was more startled than happy. I had completely forgotten about West. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"Where are you right now?"

I looked around the flat. "Um.." I struggled to tell him where I was, scratching my temple. "I'm at work." I scrunched my face as soon as I said it, curling my hand into a fist. Why didn't I just tell him where I was?

"Cool. I'll drop by and see you," he said.

I shot up with wide eyes. "No!" I yelled.

"No?" West sounded confused.

Biting hard on my knuckles, I punched the pillow in front of me and quieted down my racing heart. "I mean..." I cleared my throat, sounding calmer. At least, pretending to be calm. "I mean, I'm not currently at the office right now. Richard, my boss, sent me out on a work errand so I'm not there, and I don't know when I will get back. Plus, I don't want to keep you waiting in case you have other commitments." I gritted my teeth, silently praying he would accept my excuse.

"Ah, right." I heard him walking around. "It's fine. I called because I wanted to see you, but since you're busy, I might drop by another time."

A soundless scream of 'yes' left my mouth and a weight disappeared from my chest. Then I remembered I haven't said anything back. "I'm sorry, West. I want to see you too, but you caught me at the wrong time. I'll text you when I'm not busy, I promise."

When we said our goodbyes, I closed my eyes and tried to rest it for a few minutes. My phone rang again and I thought it had to be Lauren, but it was my mother. It rang a few times before I answered.

"Hi, mum."

"Beth! How are you?" Her voice was shrill, and I heard noises in the background like music was being played.