Nine

I was playing a game of hide and seek with him. I was mortified with what had happened between us, and his rejection didn't help me at all. Something I couldn't forget, even if I could. I battled with three emotions. One moment, my heart would flush when I remembered our heated moment, and the next, the rejection would send me biting down on my lips, and the third, the third was something else. Sadness mixed with confusion? I could still hear his words. Could still feel the pain and sorrow.

The raw emotions in Rogue's eyes twisted my heart. I didn't care. I didn't care what his problem was. It wasn't my problem. He could go to hell for all I care. Well, he did say he was in hell already.

Saturday morning, I strolled through the garden. It was just so beautiful and peaceful, so I ended up sitting in one of the chairs for an hour, basking in the freedom that I got and the sun shining on my face. I was enjoying my day when I heard footsteps, and I turned around so fast, almost giving myself whiplash. I was fully prepared to run out of the garden if it was Rogue. I wasn't joking around with the hide and sleek.

"Hi, darling!" Veronica chirped, waving at me with a wide smile. She had on a big hat with sunglasses that almost covered half of her face. I let my eyes roamed over the red bikini she was wearing with a sheer transparent coverup.

"Hey." I waved back as she strolled to where I sat and leaned down to air kiss both of my cheeks. It was so weird, but my smile stayed plastered. I wondered what she was doing here and if Rogue knew she was here.

She plopped down next to me with a heavy sigh. "I couldn't stop thinking about you, Beth. I knew I had to see you and save you from the boredom and the darkness that crowds the house. I was right to come, wasn't I? You look like you are in need of saving." She lifted her sunglasses and winked at me through her brown eyes.

"Does Rogue know you're here?" I asked, looking around the garden and expecting him to jump out and say boo.

"What is he going to do? Kick me out?" She snorted. "Relax, darling. He can't come in between our friendship."

Our friendship? I didn't remember extending my friendship. She must have mistaken our brief encounter at the party as an offering of my friendship. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to tell her that. Perhaps a company of someone else other than Rogue and Miriam could be what I needed. I liked Veronica's vibe. It was hard to believe she was friends with Rogue.

"Here." The bag she carried with her was dumped on my lap. "I bought you a few things. I thought we could have a pool party. I wasn't sure if you have a bikini, but I got you covered on that. I also brought alcohol. Didn't want to raid Rogue's. He bites harder than he chews."

And she was right. When I stuck my head in the bag, I saw the black bikini and three bottles of vodka. Three? Did she think we were going to drink all of that?

"Is that a vape?" Astonished, the question came out as I arched a brow at her.

Her grin widened. "We can't have a party without a vape. It will take more than alcohol to make you forget Rogue, trust me. Alcohol and vape is the Rogue remedy. Come on." She shot up to her feet and signaled for me to get up. I had no choice but to follow her back inside the house.

We met with Miriam just as she was about to go upstairs.

"Miriam!" Veronica called, halting the woman from taking any more steps. She walked back down and greeted Veronica politely, but I could tell she didn't like her. The way she was looking at her felt like an aged dislike. She was being rude, and she didn't care. I didn't even get that kind of hostility, and I knocked her out! Veronica addressed her, "Can you fix something for me and Beth to eat? We're going to be at the pool."