Chapter 10

The sun was rising over the Pyrrhian rainforest while Dia walked through it.  She needed to tell Auran something before Malus arrived.  It had been something she had been meaning to tell the SpotWing for a while now, and she wanted to make sure she could say it.

"Dia!" Auran flew down from the trees.

"Aur!" Dia replied.  "I was looking for you.  Can we talk alone for a bit?"

"What's up?" Auran asked Dia once they had gotten to an empty field.

"Uh, w-well," Dia responded.  What if he doesn't like female dragons?  But I have to try; I'll never know otherwise.  "We've been friends for a while, and I was wondering...could we be more than that?"

"Oh, Dia," Auran said.  "I'd say yes, but I can't.  There's another dragon I like.  I'm sorry."

"Oh, no, it's okay," Dia replied, her voice shaking.  Auran pressed himself against her.

"You'll find someone," he said.  "I'm just not the one."

Dia turned away, unsure of what to think.  It felt like she wouldn't.  Maybe she would be alone.  "I need to go for a flight."

She started flying away from Auran.  Auran watched her go.  Did he say something wrong?  He couldn't have told her he liked her.  It would've been a lie.  He heard Asma walk up to him.  Maybe she would make him feel a little better.

"Where's she going?" Asma asked.

"I don't know," Auran responded.  Would it be right to tell Asma what had happened?  Maybe he should tell her.  "We've been friends for a while, and we saw each other differently.  She wanted to be more than that."

"Oh," Asma responded.  "D-did you say yes?"

"No!" Auran replied, a bit harsher than he meant.  "Sorry.  No, I didn't."

"Will she be okay?" Asma asked.

"She should be," Auran nodded.  "She just needed time alone.  Let's see if we can get any plans for Malus.  I don't want to bother her."

"Right," Asma started flying, Auran behind her.

The two landed at Jade Mountain, and the rest were there.

"Where's Dia?" Sunny asked.

"She went off on her own for a little," Auran explained.

"Is that safe with Malus coming so quickly?" Beetle asked.

"I'm not going to be the one to go after her," Auran answered.  "But she can take care of herself."

I hope, Auran glanced towards his leg.  The blood oath should protect her, right?  Asma moved closer to him.  He relaxed a little.

"We'll figure it out," Clay assured.  "We faced Blister, Blaze, Burn, the NightWings' nightmare dragon, and an evil mind-controlling plant."

"Clay's right!" Kinkajou agreed.  "Malus can't be any more dangerous."

But he is, Auran couldn't stop himself from thinking.  He had heard about the War of SandWing succession, Darkstalker, and the Othermind.  Malus was worse than those three combined.  From the sound Asma was making beside him, she agreed.  

"C-can I be excused for a moment?" Asma requested.  The others nodded.  She left.

"You're not going with her?" Peril asked Auran.

"I know what Malus is like," Auran responded.  "I'll go talk to her in a few minutes if she doesn't come back."

Qibli nodded.  "Where's Sky?  Or Wren?"