Chapter 5

"It sounded like a prophecy," Beetle said.

"Prophecies don't exist," Dia scoffed.

"And who exactly told you that?" Auran asked.

"Malus-oh fine," Dia said.  "You have a point."

"Prophecies are real," Sandspirit said.  "My mother delivered the first real one in two thousand years, then delivered another one."

"Mine and Beetle's parents were part of that second one," Venus said.  "It was apparently an interesting time."

"That's what my parents say about the first one," Sandspirit said.  "But they also said that the meaning wasn't clear."

"So, we'll just have to wait," Auran said.  "Maybe we can talk about this later.  Sleep is more important now."

It had been three days since they had taken shelter, and Beetle and Sandspirit had barely stopped looking at the paintings.  Venus and Dia had thought that the two were looking for a solution to the prophecy, but nothing had shown anything.

"Are they normally like this?" Dia asked.

"Beetle, yes," Venus said.  "I'm not too sure about Sandspirit, however.  Haven't known him for long."

"Venus!" Beetle called.  "Come look over here!"

Venus walked over to Beetle.

"What's up?" they asked.

"It's about the Scorching," Beetle said.  "Hey, Dia, what year is it?"

"5022 AS.  Why?" Dia walked over to the other dragonets.

"What does the AS stand for?" Sandspirit asked.

"After Scorching," Dia said.

"It's the same in Pantala and  Pyrrhia," Sandspirit said.  "This shows more about the Scorching and what came after.  After the dragons beat the scavengers, they split into twelve tribes, sharing the land evenly.  But they didn't agree on how to do things, and there wasn't enough territory on Pyrrhia.

"The dragons fought a war to see who would stay on Pyrrhia.  The current tribes that exist there won, and the other six went to two different continents.  That explains why there are so many dragons on Pyrrhia, and four tribes here and Pantala."

"So Malus is just a horrible dragon," Dia growled, a puff of smoke coming out her nose.

"We were always told that this was the proper way," Auran said.  "That Clearsight said she made us this way."

"Clearsight was just a regular dragon, though," Beetle responded.

"All history before Clearsight is lost to time," Auran explained.  "She might as well have been the one that created us."

"I enchant this wall to show us the whole history of Volare," Sandspirit touched a blank wall.  Words formed on the wall, along with pictures.  Sandspirit dropped his claws, panting.

"Sandspirit!" Beetle ran over to him.  "You good?"

"Yeah," Sandspirit confirmed.  "Just took more out of me than I thought."

Venus looked at the wall.  "It was a big spell."

"Yeah," Sandspirit agreed.  "But now we have proof against Malus.  Right here."

"There were dragons here before the tribes came," Beetle observed.

"One tribe," Auran agreed.  "We lived in peace before the AntlerWings and DayWings came.  We were outnumbered, and they exposed us to diseases the likes of which we have never seen before.  Some of them were intentional; they knew they could get our land if we weren't strong enough to fight back.