Chapter 6

Auran was the first to wake up.  She didn't know how he felt.  She knew she should hate Asma.  Asma was the enemy.  But how she felt when she was singing couldn't be simply ignored.  SpotWings were supposed to feel a connection when singing.  It was how they could recognize one as a true SpotWing.  But it was also how SpotWings found their spouses.  Auran was wrestling over whether it was a regular connection or something more.  She looked to the other dragonets.  They were just waking up.  Maybe sometime she could ask Dia to sing.  It might not be the same, but it might be something.  Dia walked up to her.

"You're awake," she observed.  "Is everything okay?"

"Yep," Auran responded.  How does she know that?  I'll have to ask her later.  "So, Venus, Sandspirit, Beetle, where we going?"

"Just follow me," Venus ducked out of the cave, the rest behind them.  "Just need to keep low."

The sky was dark with storm clouds, rain falling down and landing on their wings.  Wind was blowing in the dragonets' faces, almost pushing them around.

"This doesn't seem like a good idea," Auran observed.

"Just stay safe, and keep near someone with skyfire," Venus ordered.  They landed on the coast, Dia next to them, both holding the skyfire.  Auran was holding the skyfire with Sandspirit.

"Anytime now," Venus said.

There was a large wave coming in the distance.

"Brace yourself!" Sandspirit warned.

The wave covered them completely, making the world go black.

When Auran regained her consciousness, she was in a treehouse lying next to Dia.  Her wings hurt a little.  She let out a short scale to make sure she was completely okay, and it sounded good.  A dragon walked in.  She held her head high, and walked with confidence.

"So, you two are who the others told us about," she said.

"Yes," Auran agreed.  "I'm Auran."

"I'm Dies," Dia forced out.

"I'm Queen Glory of the RainWings," the dragon said.  "This is my kingdom."

"Your scales look amazing," Dia complimented.

"Thank you," Glory responded.  She shifted them to match Auran's.  Auran noticed that the scales were slightly off-colour than what she thought hers were, but still found it impressive nonetheless.

"Wow," Auran breathed.  "Your scales can do that?"

"The dragons of Pyrrhia have some great abilities," Glory responded.  "But that's what Jade Mountain Academy is for.  We were waiting for you to be awake before introducing you to it.  I'm sure you have knowledge you can share as well."

"One question," Dia asked.  "How would those dragons react to someone who looks like a male but says they're female?  Or neither?"

"With a school as big as Jade Mountain?" Glory responded.  "Impossible to tell.  I'd ask Qibli or Starflight."

"Qibli?" Auran asked.  "I think Sandspirit mentioned him."

"Qibli's Sandspirit's dad," Glory explained.  "But the dragonets are waiting outside."

Auran stood up.  She knew it was supposed to be impossible for SpotWings to be tone-deaf, no matter the damage, but she wanted to be sure.

"How's this sound?" she asked before singing a scale.