Chapter 9

A//N: Sorry this was late; meant it for the 6th of January, but I was too busy with other things

Auran sat under a tree next to Asma. It had been a couple days since she had told her subjects that there would be war. The atmosphere in the rainforest had just gotten more solemn ever since.

"Did you notice that star in the sky?" Asma asked.  Auran nodded.  "Maybe we could show that to the dragons.  Improve their spirits, and-"

Asma cut herself off, Auran seeing pink spread across her wings, but immediately disappeared.  Auran brushed her wingtips against hers, to which Asma immediately jumped back.

"Sorry," Auran said quickly.  "I didn't realize you don't like being touched."

"N-no, it's fine," Asma responded, clearly forcing out the words.  "I wasn't expecting it.  I don't exactly love it, either."

"Thanks for telling me," Auran replied.  Looking at Asma, she realized for the first time the other SpotWing wasn't making eye contact with her.  It was unusual, and Asma wasn't sure if she should ask or not.  It might be a sensitive subject for her, and that might ruin their chance of becoming friends.

"You're not going to tell me I should just get over it?  That it's normal to be touched?" Asma asked.

"Normal doesn't always mean right," Auran answered.  "You don't like to be touched, and that's all there is to it."

Asma looked like she was about to say something, but Kinkajou's voice from below them cut her off.  "Asma!  Auran!  Come on down!"

Auran obliged, Asma behind her.

"What's up?" Auran asked.

"Everyone's so serious now," Kinkajou replied.  "It's unsettling to see even the RainWings like this.  I mean, I understand the NightWings; they're always fun-hating.  But the RainWings?  Come on!"

"We're on the verge of a war," Auran responded.  "It's only natural to see dragons like this."

Moonwatcher walked up from behind Kinkajou.  "But it is a little weird.  And something's up with Dar-Peacemaker.  I know the spell was worded carefully, but I can't stop worrying."

"It could be Malus' fault," Asma suggested.  "He could probably overpower animus magic."

"But he's not here yet," Moonwatcher responded.

"He's coming," Asma responded.

"But if Darkstalker comes back," Moonwatcher said, "then we definitely stand no chance."

The NightWing touched her earring.  Auran had noticed most, if not all of the NightWings wearing one.

"But maybe we have something that'll cheer everyone up," Auran said.  "Gather everyone."

After the Dragonets of Destiny, the ones from Pantala, and the ones from Volare were gathered, they all sat down inside a cave.  It was a little cramped, and Asma went to the edge of the group.  It didn't feel like she felt accepted by the rest yet.  Auran gestured for her to join, but Asma shook her head.  No way was she going up there.  She saw Dia go up instead.  After explaining why they were brought here, Dia spoke.

"So, Christmas,"  Asma caught.  She had stopped paying attention; she knew all this, it was a huge thing in Volare.  Not something she liked to participate in too much; there was too much noise and dragons for her liking.  They always tried to talk to her, but she never knew what to say.

"Feast" and "Clay" were two more words Asma caught, but the rest was going in one ear and out the other.

"Asma?" Auran's voice snapped her out of her trance.  She turned towards the SpotWing.

"Yeah?" she responded.

"We're going hunting for the feast," Auran explained.  "You want to come?"

Asma nodded.  "I might not attend the feast."

Auran started flying, Asma behind her.  "Why not?  I mean it's fine if you don't want to not like I've fa-not like I'll judge, but I'm curious."

"Never really liked it," Asma responded, seeing some pink flash across Auran's wings.  "Too many dragons."

"I'll save some food for you then," Auran responded.  "That okay?"

"You don't have to," Asma told Auran.  "I can hunt my own."

"You're helping hunt for it; you deserve it," Auran insisted.

After they collected some fish, the moons were starting to rise.  The three were all visible, but only one was near full.  Auran and Asma looked at each other.  Two more days and there would be a full moon.

"Let's keep this to ourselves," Auran said.  "At least for now."

Asma nodded.  This shortened the time they had to prepare for the war.  The two SpotWings split off, Auran heading to Jade Mountain and Asma going back to the rainforest.  Asma figured she should get some sleep; not much of that was going to happen soon.

When Asma opened her eyes, she saw Auran pushing part of what looked like a large cat towards her.

"You awake?" she asked.  Asma nodded.  "Try it.  It's apparently good.  They said it was called jaguar."

Asma sat up and took a bite of the jaguar.  It was a little burnt, but she liked that.  It tasted slightly different than Malus' food, but she felt better compared to that.

"It's good," she said.  "But you didn't have to bring this here.  You could've eaten it."

"You helped catch food for the feast," Auran said.  "It's the least I can do."

"You being here is good enough," Asma responded.  Auran looked at her, not hiding the mix of pink, gold, and orange-purple on her scales.  "Did I say something wrong?"

"N-no, no," Auran responded.  "Nothing wrong."