𝟶𝟷𝟾-𝚄𝚗𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚅𝚘𝚠

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

As the end of winter break grew closer, Sirius grew more and more morose. Turner had departed from Grimmauld Place, but not before managing to get under Marilyn's skin in a way that only he could. Marilyn did her best to cheer him up, being about the only person to make any effort as his mood seemed to have infected everyone else in the house.

She had managed to get him completely cheery for one day after getting him to dance with her again as it was the only remotely happy thing he would do, even if it was not entirely enjoyable for Marilyn. Sirius found it highly amusing though, so that was a plus. 

The day before the break was set to end, Sirius and Snape got into a huge argument and nearly ended up duelling but were interrupted by the arrival of Arthur, who was completely cured at last. That night, Marilyn joined him in the drawing-room where he was moping about and sat with him and Buckbeak.

"You know, you aren't a coward." She told him at last after at least an hour of sitting in silence.

Sirius looked at her glumly, obviously not believing a word she had said. "Oh yeah? Why's that?"

"Because a coward wouldn't have offered his house to use as headquarters. A coward wouldn't have taken in the entire Weasley family, plus three for several weeks, a coward wouldn't go out in public as a dog just to make sure his godson made it to the train safely. And a coward definitely wouldn't have danced with me. I've been told I'm rather intimidating." She said the last bit loftily and Sirius cracked an amused smile.

"Thanks, Mary." He said quietly, petting Buckbeak.

Marilyn was quiet for a minute before looking up at him. "Did you know we're related?"

Sirius looked at her curiously. "We are? You know, Dumbledore said not to question why we don't know anything about your family or even your last name, but I'm not very good at following the rules. Tell me, Mary, how are we related?" He asked, turning to face her fully, a curious expression on his face.

"Well, my mother's brother is married to your cousin." She said and Sirius's eyebrows furrowed before a look of dawning comprehension came over his face as he gaped at her.

"You mean to tell me—you're a Malfoy?" He asked incredulously. 

"Yep, sad isn't it? Mine and Marvol's mother was Lyra Malfoy, Lucius's younger sister." She revealed and Sirius nodded slowly.

"Wow..." he muttered, looking thoughtful. "You know, your mother was a wonderful woman, it's terrible what happened to her. I always found it strange she was a Slytherin when she seemed so much better fit for Hufflepuff. I suppose it's because of her family that she was sorted there." He said, thinking back to his school years. "So if your mother was Lyra, that'd make your father that Miguel bloke, right? I never knew his last name either!" He realized with a start.

Marilyn smiled slightly, nodding. "Yeah, that's right. Now, if I tell you this you have to promise not to tell anyone what I'm about to tell you. An unbreakable vow, even." She said seriously, looking him dead in the eye.

Sirius nodded, his face serious as well. "Dumbledore knows though, right?"

She nodded, "Of course he does, he knows just about everything." She dismissed, "Plus, I live with his brother."

Sirius shrugged and then nodded. "Okay, what is it?"

"My father's name was Miguel Gaunt." She said. "Marvol's full name is Marvolo Morfin Gaunt and mine is Marilyn Merope Gaunt."

Sirius tilted his head, obviously not understanding. Marilyn sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "The Gaunts are the only completely pure-blooded descendants of Slytherin there are left." She said.