Chapter 6

Saturday, October 10th

Karma is excited, but he's doing his best to reign it in. After all, Nagisa is right. This is just practice. Still, it's a new fight with fresh opponents and Nagisa on his team. He can't help but anticipate it.

As Karasuma picks two elite soldiers out of the line (an athletic woman with long black braided hair and a tall young wiry man), Karma nudges Nagisa. "What do you think? A straight out assassination or a fight to start with?"

"I think we should do an assassination first. Then we can do combat later when their guards are up?" Nagisa murmurs back.

"Sounds like a plan to me. First few kills are all yours." Karma grins. Fighting Karasuma was all very well, but he can't wait to see Nagisa take these operatives down. It's been too long since he's gotten to see a proper, Nagisa style assassination.

They all arm themselves (close range anti-tentacle weapons only) and take their places on the mat in the center of the room. Karma can see the special ops taking them in, sizing them up. He can tell they're being careful, avoiding a quick judgment after what they heard from Karasuma, but no one can be prepared for Nagisa.

Karasuma signals the start of the fight. Karma hasn't even bothered taking a fighting stance. He watches as Nagisa smiles benignly, like he would to his students. The dark haired woman advances on Nagisa, drawing her blade, but Nagisa just sidles up to her calmly. When the woman aims a kick at his ribs he steps to the side, barely missing the blow. His face is a mix of concentration, blankness, and slight surprise. He looks like he's not all there, like he's focusing on something else and hadn't quite expected to be capable of dodging the blow.

Before the woman can recover Nagisa's on to her. He gives her a grin like she's precious student or a dear friend or a lost lover that he hasn't seen in too long. It's enough to catch her off guard and he slips in for the kill.

Meanwhile Karma has been matching off with the other special op, distracting him from Nagisa. He has to admit that his opponent is quite good, but all that practice wasn't for nothing. And while he keeps the man occupied he watches Nagisa out of the corner of his eye, observing as the woman yields to the blade at her throat. Karma grins a little wider. Nagisa is truly unnerving. Overpowering even.

When he had first noticed Nagisa's unsettling capabilities he had been troubled. He hated to admit it, but he had practically abandoned Nagisa, unable to reconcile the feeling of not being in control. But after spending E Class with the boy, he's learned to appreciate Nagisa's skills. He respects Nagisa, and he takes pride in his friend's abilities.

It shows in how he drags his fight out, drawing the man's attention and giving Nagisa the perfect opportunity to stalk up behind him and take a knife to the soldier's throat. At the last second the soldier senses the attack and tries to retaliate, but it's already too late.

The second round goes much the same, except for a little more effort on Nagisa's part. After all the smile trick only works once, so this time he has to hold off the soldier for a while before he can find the right opportunity to unsettle the soldier and slip under his guard.

In the third round Karasuma decides to change things up by adding a third operative into the mix. Not that Karma's going to say anything, but he's pretty sure Karasuma picked the three weakest soldiers to make things a little fairer. Karma takes on two of the operatives, and while he weaves in between their attacks, Nagisa takes on the third operative, which is a bit of a problem because the soldier just happens to be the woman from the first round.

Nagisa is a skilled fighter, but after E Class he never worked on his combat skills like Karma did and these are special operatives, the best that the military has to offer. Without surprise on his side he's no match in physical combat.