Chapter 14 - Part 3

One moment. That's all he allows himself to get acquainted with the idea. One moment, and then he forces himself to relax and turns to face Nagisa. He hides his inner turmoil behind glowing amber eyes.

Nagisa had asked about Operation Tentacles. It was time for Karma to answer him. Truthfully.

"Yes, actually." He pauses only for a moment before continuing. "Karasuma called this morning to say that Target Tentacles is being held in a private prison the next town over. He wasn't able to provide us with any particularly useful information, but he's open to visitors now if we'd like to see him."

Karma studies Nagisa's expression, looking for any signs of distress, but all he finds is a serious, subdued Nagisa with an unreadable look in his eye. He's biting his lip again, which Karma takes to mean that he's thinking. Karma's probably right; Nagisa's always thinking.

Karma gives Nagisa a reassuring smile. "Think on it. In the meantime, are you ready for the main course?"

"Oh, uh... yeah. Yes please."

Karma smiles and disappears into the kitchen. Moments later he returns with two full plates and a platter of Brussels sprouts balanced expertly on his forearm.

Needless to say, the food is mouthwateringly good. Karma watches with great pleasure as Nagisa digs in, emitting sounds of in satisfaction as the flavors reach his tongue.

Karma has to deliberately keep his thoughts on his own food. Damn, this come with a lot more implications that I realized, doesn't it?

"On a lighter note, I was talking with Sugino in the car today. Apparently Kayano had a crush on me in junior high...?"

Karma snorts. "Well, yeah. Duh."

Nagisa pouts. "You think so too?"

"I know so. Anyone with half a brain cell could figure that out."

Nagisa pouts even further.

Karma rolls his eyes. He does not need to discuss crushes with Nagisa right now.

And yet... he can't seem to say no to those flashing blue eyes.

And what's the harm in it? Karma is as a fine an actor as you have ever seen. He will give nothing away. Not yet.

Instead he'll take time to think it over, to reflect when he is alone. He has faith that a plan of action will present itself to him once he makes the space for it to surface. That's the way Karma has always done things.

But that will be later, when the evening has grown late and he has only the ticking of the clock for company. Right now, he will set aside all rumination and simply be who he has always been: Karma. In this moment, the future does not matter. His revelation does not matter. The only thing that matters is the warm food on the table, and the steady flickering of the candle, and the company of the person sitting across from him.

For now, that is enough.

___

Finally got through Chapter 14! I am admittedly very proud of myself for actually finishing it *preens self*

I don't know when I'll be able to update next, but it'll probably be a few weeks. I'm going away for a week for Thanksgiving, so the current plan is to write then and share it with all of you when I get back.

Scientific studies show that teens/young adults need 8 hours of sleep every night, so make sure you get at least 6 tonight <3

–Laika