Chapter 14 - Part 2

Here it is, finally, the moment you've been waiting for! Enjoy!

---

The one look of surprise on Nagisa's face as he sees the miso soup is worth all the trouble it took to make it. The blunette pulls up short several feet from the table, taking in the elaborate table settings and the professional look to the food. Screw jump scares from behind, this is ten times as fun and ten times as effective.

Karma comes up behind Nagisa and slings an arm around his neck and shoulder, hanging off him. He has a Cheshire grin on his face as he talks right into Nagisa's ear. "What? I told you I'd make you a real feast the next time you came over. I keep my promises."

"You sure do." A slow, reluctant smile breaks out over Nagisa's face, but his eyes betray his true amusement and flattery. He's too stricken to do anything but agree.

"Come on." Karma tugs Nagisa forward and holds out his chair for him like a proper gentleman. Nagisa sighs in resigned amusement and tells Karma he can do it himself, but Karma only smirks at him. Once Nagisa is seated, he takes his own place across the table.

"Wine?" Karma asks.

Nagisa makes a face. "Just a little."

Karma raises an eyebrow, curious at the mixed reaction. Nagisa had done just fine with the champagne on Saturday, but maybe he couldn't hold his liquor or didn't like the taste? "White or red?"

"Whatever you're having."

"Red, then." Karma pours for Nagisa first –just a little, as requested– then gives himself a full glass and leaves the bottle on the table. He has a high alcohol tolerance so he isn't worried about getting tipsy.

"So how have you been?" Nagisa asks. "Apart from recent events, I mean. How's work?"

Karma fake yawns. "Boring. There're always a thousand problems to fix, but it's nothing I can't handle. How about you? Feel strange to be living normally?"

"Just a little bit." Nagisa blows on his soup and takes a small sip. Karma can tell by the way he melts ever so slightly that he finds it to his liking. "Saturday stirred up a lot of memories and questions for me. It was only a little job though. I'm almost disappointed it didn't last longer."

"Do you ever regret choosing to be a teacher?" Karma asks, genuinely curious. "You could have been a great assassin. One of best."

"I know... But I have no regrets." Nagisa gives Karma a glowing smile. "I love being a teacher, even if I miss being an assassin from time to time." He takes another spoonful of soup. His eyes linger on the bowl as he quietly adds, "I'd much rather shape lives than take them."

"Wow, Nagi, didn't know you were so sentimental." Karma teases, but he gets it, he really does. It's one of the things he admires about Nagisa. "Your students are lucky to have you."

Nagisa's eyes brighten a bit at the praise. "That reminds me, did I tell you what happened yesterday?"

Karma shakes his head and listens attentively as Nagisa tells him all about it.

He doesn't hide his amusement when Nagisa gets to the part where the other teacher, Mr. Asumoto, blatantly dissed the bluehead's students. He almost feels sorry for the guy, knowing that he now has to deal with an irate blue haired teacher.

There's something genuinely wholesome seeing Nagisa talk about school. He sounds alive and animated, like he's truly found his life's calling.

This is why Karma didn't want Nagisa on the assassination. It simply wasn't right for him. He belonged at school, teaching without interruption. Never bothered with matters of life and death, never burdened with anything but his goals and aspirations.