Loss of a Friend

Today wasn't Hicca's day

Today wasn't Hicca's day. She was chosen to kill the Monstrous Nightmare. For the people of Berk, the chief's daughter will finally be the proper Viking which brought tremendous joy to the villagers. But to Hicca, she didn't want to kill the dragon. She was in quite a pickle. How was she going to get out of this one? At the moment, she was on her way to the cove, to think of a way to avoid killing the Nightmare. But none came to mind. Maybe running away might solve her problem.

Hicca entered the cove and saw her dragon friend, Toothless the Night Fury. Toothless was a dragon that she had shot down in a raid. At first she wanted to cut his heart out in order to prove to her father that she was a Viking. But when she found him wrapped in bola ropes, helpless, she couldn't do it. She looked at him and saw herself. When she cut him free, he pounced on her and she thought that he was gonna end her. 

However, he roared in her face and took off. He took refuge in a cove where Hicca discovered that one of his tail fins was gone. To make up for what she had done to him, she befriended the Night Fury and gave him a prosthetic tail fin to fly. Unfortunately she would need to be on his back to help operate it. So she made a saddle for her to ride on his back. Because of that, the two grew closer as friends.

The Night Fury perked up when he saw her and tackled her to the ground and licked her face.

"Toothless, stop! You know that doesn't wash out!" Hicca giggled.

Toothless got off Hicca and gave a gummy smile which earned his name. His big acid green dilated eyes stared at her with such friendly affection. Hicca always liked the attention she gets from her friend. It felt good to know that someone would pay attention to you. The two relied on each other for everything. Then Hicca noticed Toothless had an itch in the back of his head and his tail. So she took off his saddle and prosthetic tail. Toothless sighed heavily as Hicca took care of his itches.

"There ya go, boy." Hicca said as she patted his head.

Toothless warbled happily and nuzzled her cheek with his, which made her giggle.

============================================

Asher Hofferson was in the forest, looking for Hicca. He wanted to know how she was able to beat him in dragon training. It didn't make any sense to him. How was it possible that the runt of the village was able to do better than him in training when she hardly did anything? It really made him feel stumped. There was no way that she could've gotten good overnight. He knew that she was hiding something and he was going to find out what.

Asher followed the footsteps in the dirt that led him to Raven's point and he spotted a bola set. He picked up the bola and noticed the rope was cut off by something sharp. He figured that maybe another dragon had cut it off. He dropped the bola and continued following the footprints that lead further down into the forest.

============================================

Hicca was playing chase with Toothless down in the cove. She was looking for Toothless as he hid somewhere. Hicca searched for the mischievous night fury. Somehow that dragon knew how to hide so well in a cove. But she had a feeling that whenever she was close to his hiding spot, he quickly ran the other way, out of her sight. She couldn't help but chuckle at his playful nature. Then she heard footsteps nearby. She slowly walked over to the boulder where she heard the footsteps. When the owner of those footsteps found her, her entire body froze. It was Asher.

"A-Asher, what are you doing here?" Hicca stuttered.

"What are you doing here?" Asher retorted.

"Just...relaxing before the big match." Hicca quickly lied.

"Relaxing?" Asher asked, brow arched.

"I just want some peace and quiet while I think of a plan to defeat the Nightmare." Hicca replied, nervously.

"How come I don't believe you?" Asher questioned.

"It's true. It's hard to think of a plan when everyone won't stop pressuring you." Hicca defended.

"Well you have to think of one while you're under pressure." Asher pointed out.

Hicca began to babble causing Asher to roll his eyes. But then he spotted a black dragon behind Hicca.

"Hicca, look out!" Asher shoved Hicca to the side, hitting her head on a boulder.

Hicca grunted at the pain as her vision began to blurry as Asher was fighting Toothless.

"Toothless." Hicca whispered before her vision went black.

============================================

"Hicca, Hicca, Hicca." A male voice whispered.

Hicca fluttered her eyes open and saw Asher hovering over her with a worried expression.

"Oh thank goodness, you're awake." Asher sighed in relief.

"What happened?" Hicca asked as she sat up while she put her hand on her forehead. She looked at her surroundings and soon noticed that she was in the cove. She pondered on why she and Asher were here. Then she remembered.

"A Night Fury was about to attack you from behind. Luckily I was here or you would have been dragon feed," Asher responded, "But don't worry, you're safe now."

Hicca's body stiffened at the mention of "Night Fury". She spotted something black nearby. Her eyes widened in horror when she saw Toothless's lifeless body. She easily spotted Asher's signature axe impaled into Toothless's head. Tears began gathering in the corner of her eyes as the most horrifying truth came to her:

Toothless the Night Fury...her friend...was gone...forever.