II

It was dark. Except for a single street light situated at the dead end, there was not one soul present on that eerie night.

She crept slowly and stealthily inside that abandoned building and hid behind a barely constructed wall.

For any normal human being, the building would have sent shivers down their spine. With bricks scattered all over the ground, it looked like the builders had abandoned the construction abruptly. The air was filled with a pungent smell. Wind was blowing with heavy speed and the sky was covered with thick black clouds.

She checked her surroundings and made a move towards the 10th floor carefully, after making sure that the police constable following her had gone away.

While climbing the stairs, she got lost in the events that had shaped her life.

Shaking her head to remove those unwanted thoughts, she reached the floor where he was currently residing, or to be more precise, hiding from the cops, along with his criminal cronies, after destroying the lives of young adolescent girls by luring them into a trap called love.

He along with his friends had not only ripped those girls of their dignity, but sold them too, for the sake of money.

Their bodies were found a week ago, chunked in a drain. May be, they had tried to dispose them in their drunken stupor and that was why they had left their fingerprints. It was not a sight for the faint hearted. Their bodies were almost unidentifiable.

Police had surrounded her house the moment word got out that he was one among those men involved in that unforgivable crime. She had denied vehemently and supported him in front of all those people. After all, she loved him.

She looked at those 4 men, sitting on the make shift bed and playing cards, drinking heavily and laughing like maniacs.

When she approached them with her bag, they were surprised.

He scolded her in front of them, asking her to get out before the police followed her and arrested them. She assured him that she had planned out everything for their escape from this country and they can lead a happy and stress free life from now on.

Showing the dinner in the bag she had brought for them, she sat near him, serving his favorite dishes. His friends too had their dinner silently, relishing the food she had got for them.

Wiping his sweat covered forehead, she made small talks, being careful to not touch any dangerous topic.

After having a sumptuous dinner, his friends left him with her to have some alone time and slept in a nearby room.

He smirked at her and took his change of clothes, when he felt the first discomfort.

She moved away from him, in the pretence of washing the used vessels, ignoring his frantic incoherent calls.

He caught hold of his throat, feeling a burning sensation.

His other hand started shaking vigorously. His legs became like a jelly, making him lose his balance and fall down on the hard concrete flooring.

She turned towards him with tears in her eyes.

With a sad smile, she walked towards him and took him in her lap.

He started convulsing like a man attacked, his mouth started frothing, but his eyes never left hers.

She slowly stroked his head, murmuring soft words of solace.

Finally, after a few minutes of torture, his whole body became still, his eyes having the last drop of tear, accusing her of her betrayal.

He had thought that whatever crime he did, she would never question him and cover up for him.

But sadly, she was the one responsible for the end of his life.

The one who had nurtured him in her womb for 9 months, who had given birth to him, who had taken care of him whenever he fell ill, who had fought with the whole world when he was accused of his first theft, was the same woman who was responsible for the end of his life.

His mother.

She closed her eyes, not able to bear the accusations in her son's eyes. But this had to be done.

His crimes had long surpassed humanity and even if he got arrested, she knew that he would easily escape.

That is why she had decided to punish him with her own hands. The same hands which had safe guarded him till now.

While making his favorite dishes, she had mixed a strong dose of poison, that will make sure to kill him and his friends.

She started singing his favorite lullaby and when the song got over, she looked down, only to witness her son, the one whom she loved the most in this cruel world, was long dead with his eyes wide open.

Closing his eyes, she released a sigh.

Keeping his head down on the floor, she got up and walked slowly towards the adjacent room where the other 3 men had gone to sleep.

Each one was lying in a different angle, with their body turning blue, eyes protruding, dried foam at the corner of their mouth.

Closing their eyes, she patted those men's heads and murmured a small prayer. After all, she had nursed them from their childhood, even if they were not her own.

Coming out, she walked towards her bag.

Taking hold of a box, she ate the remaining food, relishing her last meal.

Clearing the remnants, she wrote a letter, confessing the crimes of her children and why she took this step of killing them with her own hands.

She took her son's head and kept it on her lap, patting him, wiping the sweat on his forehead with her sari pallu, adjusting his clothes, she kissed his forehead.

Her son, the only solace of her cruel life.

She started singing his favorite lullaby again. With heavy thunder, it started raining heavily, giving company to a mother who was singing and mourning the loss of her only son.

Reclining on the wall, she closed her eyes and the last thought she had before she lost her conscious, if she has a next life, she should have a loving family, a caring husband who does not abandon his pregnant wife for his mistress and a loving and responsible son.

With a beautiful dream behind her closed eyes, she slept with a peaceful smile, hoping for a better after life.

************

Hey guys, hope you liked this one shot. This one is purely my imagination.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Take care, stay safe.