IV

The cabin looked perfect. Situated at the top most floor, painted in white with splashes of grey, with a floor to ceiling glass wall overlooking the sea, a work table in one corner strewn with designs, a rich dark mahogany table with a black leather couch, the entire cabin looked attractive with warm sunlight pouring in.

Completing the files, she checked her mails and rushed towards the conference hall with a coffee mug in one hand and her laptop in the other.

Placing them on the table, she adjusted the projector and instructed her assistant to recheck if everything was perfect.

Dressed impeccably in a black palazzo pant with brown horizontal stripes and a black shirt, hair tied in a bun, face adorned with minimal make up, she looked every bit of a professional.

In spite of the early morning traffic, she reached her office well before the meeting was scheduled to begin.

Releasing a sigh, she looked at her Titan watch. It was old, one of the first models to be released for women when she was still in her school. Her father had gifted her this watch as a prize for securing the first rank in her class.

She looked around the conference hall and felt a certain pride. She had built this office with her sweat and blood after her small designing venture had took off and earned profits.

The journey was not easy. Surrounded by a demotivating society just because she is a girl and had the guts to oppose marriage and begin a start up soon after completing her education, she faced a lot of hurdles and now, after 10 years, she has achieved so much of success.

People who had badmouthed her in the past now worshipped the floor she walked. MNCs who had laughed at her when she had just started, now waited for a single appointment to meet her and have a collaboration.

Her eyes held pride. With a winning heart warming smile, she turned towards the glass window and looked at the city in front of her.

Somewhere, an alarm clock kept ringing continuously, making her frustrated.

She turned around and to her horror, the walls which were white turned into a pale brown colour paint.

She got up swiftly from the cot she was sleeping and stopped the alarm clock.

She looked around and found to her disappointment that all that was just, a dream. Her unfulfilled wishes took the form of a dream she had cherished from her childhood.

The room looked modest.  Painted in yellow , the walls looked pale, indicating the need for a new coating.

  The house, located in one of the cheapest living areas of the city had a small kitchen in one corner, a small wooden table with a black chair as the only furniture in the living room, a single bed room and a bathroom.

Tying her hair in a bun, she sighed and got up to complete her daily chores.

Completing the house work, she checked the grocery list, instructed the maid to come the next day without fail, got dressed hurriedly, locked the door  and  rushed towards the school with a snacks bag in one hand and her hand bag in the other.

Placing them on the rusted chair, she adjusted her dupatta , looked around and found her children running towards the play ground.

Dressed in a simple blue cotton salwar kameez with streaks of white and a little dirt here and there, hair tied in a neat bun, face adorned with sweat, she looked every bit of a house wife.

In spite of the evening traffic, she reached the school playground well before the bell had rung. Releasing a sigh, she looked at her titan watch. It was old, one of the first models to be released for women when she was still in her school. Her father had gifted her this watch as a prize for securing the first rank in her class.

Time flies. There was a time when her parents used to feel proud and boast to their neighbours about her academic excellence and her knowledge. She felt that finally, her dreams will get fulfilled. As she grew up, she felt the change. Her parents, who used to look at her with pride for getting good marks started disciplining her to behave like a girl and learn house hold chores instead of preparing for her examinations and worried more about what the society will think about their upbringing rather than feeling ecstatic for giving birth to such an intelligent child.

She looked around the play yard and felt a certain pang. She had built several castles regarding her career and had studied so hard with her sweat and blood to secure good rank and start her own designing venture in spite of coming from a lower middle class background. She had harboured so much of hope to raise her family's financial level.

But, her dream remained just that, a dream.  Surrounded by a demotivating society just because she is a girl and had the guts to oppose marriage and begin a start up soon after completing her education, she faced a lot of hurdles and now, after 10 years, married and with two kids, she is still in the same vortex from which she had hoped to come out.

People who had badmouthed her in the past for even having the thought to start her own company, now looked at her with respect just because she got married and is living a good life according to their rule book. MNCs who had wanted to hire her for her excellent academic results were a thing of the past.

But, she has still not given up. Her eyes held hope. With a heart warming smile, she turned towards her kids who were laughing and playing. So what if her dreams were unfulfilled, she will make sure that no matter what, her kids will achieve whatever they aspire to become in the future.

So what if her mother did not understand her dreams and aspirations, she, as a mother, will definitely dream along with her kids and help them in achieving success!
It's a mother's promise!!

*****************

Dedicated to all those wonderful women who sacrificed their dreams for the sake of their kids and family.

Hope you liked it, don't forget to vote, share and comment.

Wishing all the women a Happy Women's Day!

Take care, stay safe.