Chapter 14 - Fictitious Pamphlets and Adhesive Specimens

Due to certain 'issues' raised by a majority of our group, visiting the Eiffel Tower yesterday evening didn't happen. Deep down I was tempted to drag those students out of their rooms for their pathetic excuses and force them to go, but because I knew their flakiness would give me the chance to catch up on the sleep that I desperately needed, I kept quiet.

The next morning, with no apparent plans laid in motion, I spent my time outside on the balcony to have a mental refresh, heeding an undisclosed internal plea for help.

A relieved sigh left my mouth as I settled back into a black metal chair, and breathed in a long drag of delighting fresh air through my nostrils. I regretted not wearing my sunglasses as I had to squint to see out to the surroundings, but the chirping sounds of the birds that flew by and the subtle hubbub of people around made up for it.

Using my hand to cover the beaming sun on my face, often hidden by the clouds, my eyebrows furrowed when the thought of Ash came to me. He'd rushed out of the room earlier and I wondered how unusual it felt as he never even uttered a word to me, but each to their own.

A mild breeze brushed past my cheeks, leaving a cool sensation pass by my face. Many shades of green leaves rustled around me and the leafy dark green vines that intricately coated the entire balcony railing fascinated me.

My ability to get distracted easily was often a curse.

A loud knocking sound came from inside. Shaking my head, I ignored it, thinking how it was my mind playing tricks on me, or it was the sound of my end which I did not want to acknowledge.

As the persistent knocking continued, I clocked back into my reality. Maybe someone was truly at the door.

Eliminating the option of it being Ash as I hadn't seen his key card anywhere in the room, I jumped out of my chair and rushed inside to open the door. When the familiar face of my best friend appeared, I stared wondering why she was there.

"Excuse me, why aren't you answering any of my calls or messages?" She instantly asked with her famous eyebrow arched. It was natural for Destiny to not commence with the greeting when it came to me.

"You're excused." I retorted, laughing at my own humour. She didn't reciprocate. "And my phone isn't on me," I told her.

"As always." She replied subtly dissing me. Instead of barging inside, something common for her to do, she remained standing outside. "Now that I've graced you with my heavenly presence, we must get going." She informed, tugging on my frilly shouldered top.

The way she'd spoken reminded me of Chris. I missed him.

"Your appearance here is minus Shawn, and with no sign of Ash - that must mean they're together and you felt out of place. That's why you're here, right?"

Her eyes squinted as her face grimaced and her head jutted back, "Pfft, of course not!" Positive reaction to confirm my assumption.

I raised my eyebrows, nodding my head slowly, "Sure... anyway, come inside and let me lock up first, and then-"

"Why not mop the flooring whilst you're at it?" Destiny groaned, dropping her head backwards. "Mack, it's called no time like the present for a reason!"

I peered at her and she returned a pointed look.

"Fine, you know what, you can stay out here. I'm going back to my mental cleanse."

I started to close the door on her, but she latched onto it and pushed me inside, sashaying past me.

"Get a move on, then! The clock's ticking!"