21: The Date

Dark Mates

21: The Date

Hues of yellow, orange and pink were painted across the sky. The water glimmered as the sunlight struck upon it. The sound of the cascading waterfall gently beating against the rocks was soothing. A single table sat in the middle of the beautiful, breath-taking scenery. Fairy lights were dangled from tree to tree, completing the setting with a magical touch.

The clearing was beautiful, and so was he.

Demetri stood there, a nervous and uncertain look on his face. Nevertheless, he looked gorgeous. His hair was a little messy, indicating that he must’ve done it at the last minute. He didn’t dress in an extravagant way; just a black button down shirt that matched my black dress and a pair of white-washed jeans and some leather shoes. He was biting those luscious, full lips of his, as if afraid that the date wouldn’t live up to my expectations, when to be honest, it already has, even if it hadn’t really started. Just knowing that he had did all this for me made my heart skip a beat.

“So, uh,” Demetri mumbled. “Do you… Do you like it?”

He was unconsciously fiddling with the hem of his shirt as he stared at his shoes in a newly found interest. I almost laughed at the sight of him. Demetri? Nervous? Around me? I never thought the day would come.

I reached over and took his comparatively large hands, rubbing my thumb over the back of it. “Don’t be nervous,” My voice was hushed as I smiled at him. “I love it.”

Demetri’s face lit up like a little boy in a candy store. “Yeah?” He asked, beaming.

“Yeah.” I smiled, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

“Come on, then,” Demetri began, no longer feeling nervous. He had a big smile on his face as he dragged me towards the table.

The table was, too, decorated beautifully. It was already starting to get dark, but the fairy lights helped illuminating the surroundings. Lighting up the table, however, were two scented candles that flickered about in the direction of the wind, but never dying.

Just like my love for Demetri.

Demetri pulled my chair out for me and pushed me in. Beside my plate was a white rose. I was beautiful.

“A rose for a rose,” Demetri smiled up at me through his long eyelashes shyly.

“Thank you.” I smiled gratefully, feeling flattered.

The night went exceptionally well. They first served some appetizers, which was salad. It tasted almost exactly like the one I made for Demetri the first time he came over to my apartment. Judging by the small smile and the glazed look in his eyes, I bet Demetri was reminiscing about it too.

Mushroom soup was served after all. It was nice. I internally thanked Demetri for not serving fancy food like foie gras or gourmet chicken or food that would make me look embarrassing while trying to cut them up and eat them. I was not raised learning about food etiquette. I guess Demetri knew that and purposefully asked for simple but delicious and mouth-watering dishes.

Dessert was amazing. Although I was already quite full, the blueberry tiramisu cheesecake was too beautiful not to eat. It was beyond delicious. It made my top 3 list of desserts from the very first bite.

“You look… astoundingly beautiful tonight,” Demetri said to me as I wiped my lips clean of the cheese. “I love your haircut, it suits you.” He smiled sweetly. My heart did a somersault as his gentle words. I thought that Demetri wouldn’t notice my new hair, but apparently he did. “With or without makeup, you’d still look beautiful, though. But that dress…”

I smile faltered a little. Did he not like the dress? I personally thought it was gorgeous. It made my curves look more prominent.  The top was covered in dark blue glitter. It was tighter at the top area, and loose below the waist.

“Don’t look so insecure, Rose,” before I could even blink, Demetri was by my side. He traced his calloused yet somehow comforting thumb over my cheek. “I just wanted to tell you that you look beautiful,” his voice turned husky, “with it on… but I wouldn’t mind it off either,” His voice was low, sexy. I could feel my cheeks burning at his inviting words. He moved closer to me.

“You don’t even know how much I’ve craved those lips of your.” Demetri said, his eyes soft.  “I miss them so much. I miss you.”

“I miss you too,” I managed to whisper before he let his lips crash against mine. We moved in such desperation, in such need. The moonlight shined down at us as Demetri pressed his lips against mine in urgency.

“God how much I need you,” Demetri gasped as we broke apart. I looked up into his beautiful orbs. He ran his fingers over my swollen lips.

“I… I love you, Demetri,” My voice was hoarse, but he heard it alright. It was like the whole world had frozen still and it was just us. Like the galaxy was filled with just us. At that moment, it didn’t matter that he was a vampire and I was a dark Xlinx. At that moment, all that mattered was our love.

“I love you too, Rose.” He smiled before kissing me again, and again and again.

And I knew that I was never getting sick of it.

 Epilogue will be out tommorrow :')