17: Reunited?

Dark Mates

17: Reunited?

Rosea

In my dream world, nothing was realistic.

I was sitting on fresh, dewy grass. The sound of a waterfall filled my ears. Overhead, the sun shined down on me, providing me warmth—nice, soothing warmth that made me feel safe.

How foreign that word sounded. It feels like a millennium ago when I last used that word.

“Hello darling,” A rich, deep and familiar voice sounded behind me. I wanted to turn around, feeling intoxicated and hypnotised just by the mere sound of the person’s voice. But the person placed his hand on my neck, preventing me to do so. “Don’t. Just let me hover behind you, protect you and love you. Don’t turn around.”

I trusted him. I don’t know why. But I nodded and laid my head back against him.

“Stand up,” He said. It wasn’t a question, but it wasn’t an order. His voice was soft yet firm. Just like his hand—calloused yet somehow smooth. I pushed myself up from my cross-legged position and he helped me up. “Do you like it here?”

I nodded. It felt like I couldn’t speak. But I think he could read my mind. He guided my forward, his hand on my hips. The feeling of his warm touch sent tingles down my spine and I shivered. He kissed my neck. I let out a sigh of contentment.

“Do you trust me?” He asked. I nodded without hesitancy. “Close your eyes,” He said. My eyes fluttered close. “Would you jump if I told you to?” I didn’t reply. He knew I would. “Okay,” he whispered. “Are you ready to go back to the real world?”

Alarmed, I opened my eyes. He pressed his hands over my eyes. “No,” I croaked. “I want to stay here… with you. I don’t want to leave. Not so fast.”

“This is an illusion. Something you’re making up. A dream,” He said. “You’re here because you need the feeling of safety. But you’re making that up too—the feeling of safety.” His voice was growing deep. “You’re making me up because you need someone to protect you right now. That’s what you need the most right now. To escape all the pain and have the feeling of safety and protection instead.”

I shook my head. “You know I’m right. You need to jump. To kill Enoch once and for all. To save and avenge your loved ones.”

“I need you, Demetri.”

“You have to jump.”

“Why?” My tone was desperate.

“Because I need you too,” He whispered softly and touched my neck softly.

With that, I jumped back to the real world, where Demetri was waiting for me.

==

Demetri

Her golden hair glimmered under the sunlight. Her eyes were closed and her lips tucked into a smile. She looked like an angel like that.

Suddenly, a wave of emotions came over me. There lying on the grass with a peaceful smile was the girl I love. I loved Lily, but Rose…

It was a whole new other level. It made me want to create a new word, one that overpowers love, because what I felt for Rose that second… it made all the sadness in the world seem to disappear and all that mattered was the two of us. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just us. 

But a second can only last so long.

“Prince of the Vampires,” An eerie, deep voice said. “Nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you. About your great power and amazing looks.” He scoffed. “Eh,” He said. “If you’re a prince, I’m a god.”