20: Preparations

Dark Mates

20: Preparations

Demetri

Her lips were cracked. Her eyes were rimmed with red. Bags of fatigue had accumulated under her eyes. Her hair was similar to a bird’s nest. Her complexion was as pale as Casper the friendly ghost. Her t-shirt was so crumpled it was like a crushed up paper.

The list can go on and on, but to be honest, I have never seen anything more beautiful.

“What are you smiling at?” Rose asked. Well, more of croaked. She coughed with a pained expression on her face. God, how I wished I could take away her pain.

“You.” I replied. “I’m smiling at how lucky I am to have you.”

Rose’s eyes softened as she blushed. She looked away, immediately trying to hide the crimson on her cheeks, but I had already noticed it anyway.

“Guys, guys, watch it.” Cranelia rolled her eyes as she held a mug against Rose’s dried lips. “I’m still here you know?”

I was dying to know about the cloaked man, but I could tell Rose didn’t want to talk about it. I arranged a few people to get the man to another room, but Rose said to leave him on the empty bed next to her and that we’d arrange a proper funeral for him tomorrow. I didn’t argue. How could I? Whatever Rose wants, she gets it.

“How have you been?” Cranelia asked to break the silence.

“Could’ve been a lot better,” Rose muttered. “But I’m still in one piece, and I’ve learned a lot of pretty cool fighting skills so I’d say I’ve been okay. Alive. Barely scraping by, but, nevertheless, alive.”

“Well,” Cranelia smiled at her and placed the now empty mug on the bedside table. “I’ll go get all of us some food. Demetri hasn’t eaten for some time now.” She left the room after that.

“Hey,” Rose’s eyes crinkled in concern. “You’ve gotten a lot skinner. Plus your clothes are all wrinkled up. You need more food in your system and a shower.”

“Says the one who has experienced a near death experience,” I said. “I’m alright, Rose. I’m a vampire. But thanks for caring,” I smiled shyly at her.

She chuckled lightly and looked away, a light shade of pink tinting her cheeks.

“I’m really sorry, by the way,” I said in a small voice after a small pause. “For all my horrible and stupid mistakes,” I added. Rose looked surprised.

“Demetri, I’m the one who’s sorry. I’ve been so selfish—”

“Are you kidding? Rose, I’m the one who has been so damn selfish,” I started. “I’ve been so full of myself. God, sometimes I feel like I should’ve died. I don’t deserve you, you know?”

“Demetri—”

“No, don’t try to defend me. All I’ve done in my past is to hurt you. I’ve never thought about what you would feel… I just cared about myself…”

“No, what I’m trying to say is Demetri—”

“I know what you’re trying to say. But listen, it’s not your fault, it’s mine. I’m such a jerk. I’m a horrible mate. I really am not good enough for you.”

“Oh, would you just shut up and listen to me, you!” Rose screamed loudly, cutting me off. She coughed and settled back onto her bed. “All I wanted to say was that you should bring me out to make up for your dick moves.”