19: Nice to Meet You

Dark Mates

The servants parted like the Red Sea when Demetri ran down the hallways, his eyes glazed with fury, his fists clenched in rage. In his mind, the only thing he was concentrating on was Rose, other than plotting 100 different ways to kill the cloaked man. He was not going to lose her again.

No. He was never letting her go ever again. In fact, he was already planning on getting Rose a permanent, 24/7 bodyguard.

Cranelia was hot on her brother’s heels. She cared for Rose almost as much as Demetri did. While usually a very kind, calm and slow to anger person, she was going to smash that lying bastard’s face if he had even hurt a single strand of Rose’s hair.

Although he was never religious, Demetri prayed to God that Rose would be alright. Maybe Cranelia had sensed the wrong thing. Maybe it was someone else’s death.

God, he hoped so.

The next-in-line Prince was running so quickly he almost missed Rose’s room. He halted into an abrupt stop, making Cranelia’s face smash into his back. Usually the two would bicker and argue over the silly thing, but the both of them couldn’t care less at the moment. Demetri immediately reached for the knob and pushed it. No luck. It was locked. Demetri cursed under his breath and used all his might to push the metal door. He could hear the slight creak of the bolts and screws that held the door in place. With one last push, the door broke free and toppled down.

Cranelia rushed inside, about to scream for a medic. She stopped when she realized that Rose’s pulse was slowly increasing to an average rate. She reached out her palm and felt the aura in the room. No… there was definitely death in here.

“C—Cranelia...” Demetri’s hoarse voice called out. She turned her head and let out a light whimper. The cloaked man was sprawled over the carpeted floor, his eyes wide open, but a ghost of a smile on his lips. Demetri looked away and used his fingers to shut the man’s eyes.

“He looks strangely familiar, doesn’t he?” Demetri whispered. Cranelia knelt down beside him.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, isn’t it bizarre that a random man would come and die for someone he doesn’t know? Doubtlessly, this man knows Rose.” Demetri stated.

“So?” His sister asked.

“Isn’t it too coincidental that this said man has a grey eyes and a mop of golden hair that’s in the same shade as Rose’s?”

Right on cue, the girl on the bed gasped awake.

Rose

You know that feeling when you’re drowning and someone pulls you up? Or the jolt of surprise you get when you’re about to fall asleep when someone suddenly wakes you?

That was how it felt like. I felt like I was sinking to the bottom of the ocean, but someone was pulling me. That certain someone had a really firm and tight grip. They were strong and had warm and comforting hands. It felt nice.

Suddenly, a bright light seeped through my eyelids and I blinked open. There, a distance away from me stood a cloaked man. I strained my eyes.

“Seth?” I asked in surprise. Seth—supposedly—looked up and I swear, I could see the glistening of his eyes. My eyebrows rose in surprise he had grey eyes… and looked like he was about to cry. “Seth, what’s wrong?”

He slowly lifted his hood, looking down to his feet as he did. He started walking towards me. “I could’ve been better,” His voice was shaky. “I… I should’ve known from the start. God, I should’ve pushed you away! I should’ve warned you! I should’ve… I—I should’ve…” He fell down beside me. I dropped to my knees as well. He looked up at me. I gasped. His eyes were so alike mine that it felt like I was looking into a mirror. And his hair… they were golden, just like mine. What?