Chapter 46

Natsu and Laxus ended up falling asleep arguing. Come the next morning when Natsu awoke he discovered that Gray had not returned which worried him.

"Laxus." Natsu said shaking him awake. "Laxus wake up!"

"What?" He groaned. "I'm trying to sleep!"

"Do you know if Gray came back last night?"

"No I was too busy talking to you. Holy boy is still gone?"

"It looks like it. Let's ask around, find out if any of these natives have seen him."

"Maybe they sacrificed him to some heathen God."

"For your information." Interjected Mirajane who suddenly made an appearance. "We don't believe in human sacrifices and we worship the same God as you all."

"I seriously doubt uneducated savages like yourself understand the concept of any religion besides one the worships a heathenous pagan idol."

"Laxus shut it!" Natsu ordered. "That's no way to talk to people who have given us hospitality! Insult them again and I'll ditch you somewhere on this damnable island. Now why don't you make yourself useful and try to find Gray?"

Laxus just rolled his eyes but he complied with Natsu's order. Once he was gone, Natsu turned to Mirajane.

"I apologize for his behavior. I'll see that it doesn't continue."

"He's not very fond of my people is he?"

"Don't take it personally he's not fond of all people. But deep down, really deep down, He means well and his father really screwed him up when he was a kid so we try to be forgiving and understanding."

"I see you what mean. A lot of the world's most rude and/or cruel people end up that way because of a great hurt they've suffered through."

"Yeah but believe me he could have turned out way worse if his grandfather hadn't of taken him away while he was still young. However Laxus still doesn't understand just how horrible his father was and how his grandfather basically saved him from turning into an immoral monster."

"Maybe he'll understand once enough time passes. Anyway you two mentioned looking for someone."

"Last night one of my crew members left to collect firewood but he never came back. Have you seen him? He has black hair and he doesn't wear a shirt."

"I know who you're talking about but I haven't seen him."

"Crap. If something has happened to him I don't think I'll be able to live with myself."

"Don't panic. If he left tracks I should be able to find him." She said. "I was hoping we could wait a little longer before leaving the tribe and going out into the island's jungles but it looks like we have no choice but to go now. You better back up your things. I'll send my sister to bring you some food and water so you'll be able to regain your strength."

Natsu gathered up his things and loaded the up into his satchel. He was halfway finished packing when he saw something moving around in his bag. He looked inside and pulled back the blanket that covered the moving figure. Underneath it was Happy.

"Happy! What are you doing here?" He asked. "I thought I told you to stay on the ship. Bad cat."

He only mewed at him in a cheeky way.

"It's bad enough I have to worry about keeping Laxus and Gray out of danger while we're on this island but now I have to worry about you too? I have half a mind to leave you here. In fact that's what I'll do. Get out."