Chapter 29

Erza looked up at the Catholic church where she had lived before becoming a pirate. It had been a whole year since her last visit and she was eager to see Pastor Makarov again. As expected she found him at the sanctuary organizing his scriptures.

"Hello pastor." She said. "Sorry that I missed your service."

The old man smiled at the sight of the red haired young woman.

"Erza. So good to see you, you look more beautiful each time you visit me."

"Now Makarov you know you're not supposed to lie especially in the house of God." She giggled.

"My dear you know very well that I always speak the truth especially when it comes to you."

The two embraced each other lovingly.

"You keep getting taller." The short old man said. "I remember when you and I were the exact same size. How are the boys?"

"They're doing fine."

"Natsu still picking fights?"

"Of course."

"Gray still Protestant?"

"Yes Makarov."

"Curses!"

"Honestly Makarov what's the deal with Catholics and Protestants? You worship the same God so is there really a difference?"

"It's a matter of principle and tradition dear. But that aside, where is my grandson? Is Laxus here? I've missed him so much."

"I'm sorry Makarov but he didn't come."

"Oh..." He sighed. "So he's still mad at me."

"No. I'm sure that's not it. He just...Had some stuff he had to do."

"I suppose."

Erza hated seeing Makarov look disappointed like that. He was always such a kind, forgiving, self sacrificing, and understandable man who believed that no one was beyond redemption and that every child born on earth was entitled to a loving family and if he found one who didn't have a family then he would either find a family to adopt that child or he would take them in himself.

The first child he ever took into his care was his grandson Laxus. Laxus's father Ivan had abandoned him when he was thirteen and shortly after that his mother died of the plague, with no one else in his family Laxus was placed in his grandfather's care. Makarov adored his grandson and Laxus loved him too but as he grew older their relationship became strained.

You see Laxus had started to idolize his father Ivan, trying to think of ways to impress him which was why he became a pirate in the first place. Because he believed that if he was a pirate just like Ivan then it would win him his father's love. Makarov tried to explain to Laxus the truth about Ivan, that he was a selfish man who had no love to give. Laxus couldn't accept that so now they weren't on speaking terms.

"I'm sure you and Laxus will work this out eventually." Erza told him.

"I pray that we will." He sighed. "But enough of my word, what brings you here?"

"We're just taking a break from work. Resting and refueling."

"I see."

"So have any new comers at the church?"

"Well there was one woman who came to confess a sin. She was very regretful for it."

"What was her confession?"

"Now Erza you know I'm not allowed to tell you that but I will tell you this, when I first saw her come in I thought she was you."

"Really? Why?"